IBM ThinkPad 1400 type 2621

Thread: IBM ThinkPad 1400 type 2621

Question IBM ThinkPad 1400 type 2621

Use this laptop with W2kP, 512 ram, all updated OS files, av/spyware tools etc.;plus wifi - carry it with me on the road - long haul trucker now.
    The original battery finally died and was replaced - it wouldn't hold a charge anymore. The problem I am having is that the new battery seems to have the same problem; shows fully charged but only allows about 1/2 hour of use before I have to switch to AC power to keep using the unit. I would like to be able to check the output from the power supply to the battery to see if there is a problem with the charging part of the laptop itself, but do not know the specs. or how to properly check the output now. Does anyone have information on where to get these specs., and maybe a little how-to, or which contact should yield which voltages etc? I have searched on Intels' site, but must be searching wrong, as I have uncovered no information regarding this.

Any help would be gratefully and greatly appreciated.

I can use the laptop on AC off the truck inverter and it works great, but there are occasions when the battery power would be more convenient.

Thanks in advance for any and all information.

frums
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you will help them become what they are capable of becoming.

I know of some software you could try that will push it and give you some feedback with graphs etc, such as this: http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/mobil...ater/BEPro.zip i'm not sure if there is a physical way of testing the battery with a Multimeter, i think there may be but i'm not sure of how to do it, or what the ideal readings would be.

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

Thanks Liam for the link. Dl'd software and running now - will post results.
    The test is running without AC power, so that should just check the battery itself. Will try it again later, with discharged battery and AC on - battery will recharge automatically.
    Laptop showed 100% charge with 3 hours use available when test started. Would like to be able to check the output at the battery contact points on the laptop to confirm that the charging output from the laptop is correct and functioning well. As I stated before, the battery itself is new - less than 1 month old.
    I guess what I am really looking for is a schematic showing the contact points and the ratings etc., that one should expect when the battery is in charge mode - something like the tests one would do to check the output of a PS for proper voltage etc., etc. Hope that explains it a little better.

frums

Edit: test just completed - 17.03 minutes leaving 5% battery power, re-running software now while battery is charging.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you will help them become what they are capable of becoming.

Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

Arrow

Thanks again Liam for the links and the information. Have checked out some of the information and will dl some of the software shortly. Will post back with results. I already have the latest bios updates installed.

frums

Nix is offline Aka: Nix*, NNiixx, Nix23
    Is it a genuine IBM battery or some dodgy imitation.

Smile

Sorry for the delay in answering Nix, but work does get in the way of play time sometimes. The new battery, as well as the old one are both genuine, not cut rate products. This being the main reason I was asking about the charging output from the laptop to ensure that the laptop was doing it job also.
    Heading to Louisiana in the am, will be checking while on the road for any more suggestions regarding the charging system analysis of the laptop.

Thanks for information received, very much appreciated.

frums

Thread Information