Compaq presario 5000 system restore without restore CD.

Thread: Compaq presario 5000 system restore without restore CD.

Compaq presario 5000 system restore without restore CD.

Title pretty much says it all how do I do a system restore on a Compaq presario 5000 without a restore CD? The PC does have the restore partition on the HD.

I tried hitting F10 at start up and got into a limited bios type thing. But there was no option to do any kind of restore there. Google was no help...

Any thoughts?

Got it:

THis is from the HP tech chat thing, and it seems to be working. I did method 2 and browsed to the file:

Start the system again. 6. When the Red Compaq logo appears press F8 repeatedly until prompted with the "Windows Startup

Menu" 7. Select option 6 (Safemode Command Prompt) by pressing the down arrow key until Safe Mode Command Prompt is

highlighted 8. Press Enter 9. At the C:\ prompt type D: and press Enter 10.At the D:\ prompt type CD CPQS and press Enter

11.At the D:\CPQS prompt type XQR press Enter

Method 2:

1. Click Start 2. Click Run 3. In the "Open" box type C:\CPQS\QUICKSR\FRESTORE.EXE Performing these steps should resolve this

issue.

Have a nice day.

Well. I' assuming you can't get into Windows. The instructions I found on Compaq's (HP) site:
    Recovering the system without using Windows

Backup files from the My Documents folder and from other folders you may have created.

Disconnect all peripherals (including the Personal Media Drive) and internal non-preinstalled devices from the PC, except the monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Turn on the computer.

When the initial blue HP screen appears, press the F10 key repeatedly until a recovery menu appears. The progress indicator that first appears does not indicate that a recovery is taking place. The progress indicator represents the time before the recovery process is started.

When the Recovery screen appears, click Next, and then click Yes to perform a normal, non-destructive recovery.

To perform a destructive recovery, click Advanced, and then click Yes.

CAUTION: A destructive recovery will format the hard drive. This will delete all the information on the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP and the original software that came with the computer.

After the System Recovery is complete, the computer restarts and continues into Windows setup. Complete the setup screens and wait until the computer finishes the setup.

NOTE: It may take a long time to complete Windows setup. This time varies and may take over an hour, depending on the amount of files that were stored in the user account folders (Like My Documents and the Desktop).

When you can access the Windows desktop, immediately enable the Firewall, download important updates, and set a restore point. For more information, refer to Things To Do After Performing a System Recovery in Windows XP .

Re-install applications that you added after puchasing the PC, and any files you need from backup.
    This from HP Desktop PCs - Performing a System Recovery in Microsoft Windows XP. Cookies may not allow the link to work. If not, go to WWW.COMPAQ.COM and click on the Presario Desktops link. Enter presario 5000 in the search box and pick the model from the list provided on the next page.

You can also order a new CD. Hope that helps.
    ------------------
    My
    Two Cents
    Dennis
    Visit Politalk

Quote Originally Posted by Helping People
    Method 2:

1. Click Start 2. Click Run 3. In the "Open" box type C:\CPQS\QUICKSR\FRESTORE.EXE Performing these steps should resolve this

issue.

Have a nice day.
    I will have a nice day now. Your post just helped me with the same problem. I made it here via a Google search. Gotta love this forum & Google!

Thank you!

Thread Information