Desktop picture not appearing

Thread: Desktop picture not appearing

Desktop picture not appearing

I am trying to change my desktop background to a picture with the setting of "center". The preview in the properties it appears fine but when I click apply it just goes to a black screen. I have web content enabled, it is a jpg so it will show up, and it does when it is set at "tile" or "stretch". Any ideas as to what would cause this?
    ~Scott

Cool Re: Desktop picture not appearing

Hello there Crvtte65, what viewer are you using? It sounds like you have a corrupted file. Try Irfanview, it is free and presents a nice picture! Goto the url listed here and download it! http://www.irfanview.com/ James
    Dell Desktop-Dimension 2400
    Windows XP sp-2
    Processer Intel 2.60 ghz
    hard drive 80 Gigs.
    Memory 256 megs
    My doctor tell's me that if I'm not starving, then I'm not staying on my diet!

I am just trying to set my desktop wallpaper to a picture that is "centered", not view it anyplace.

See attached for screen capture (seriously compressed so I don't have to link it from elsewhere)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~Scott

Originally posted by Crvtte65
    I am just trying to set my desktop wallpaper to a picture that is "centered", not view it anyplace.

See attached for screen capture (seriously compressed so I don't have to link it from elsewhere)
    Perhaps I didn't explain it properly, the Irfanveiw that I'm recommening isn't merely to display the picture, it also has a feature on it to set as wallpaper! Irfanview is smaller than the regular viewer and has a lot of features with it. Plus, did I mention that it's free! James
    Last edited by jamesclasater; March 15th, 2005 at 02:05 AM.
    Dell Desktop-Dimension 2400
    Windows XP sp-2
    Processer Intel 2.60 ghz
    hard drive 80 Gigs.
    Memory 256 megs
    My doctor tell's me that if I'm not starving, then I'm not staying on my diet!

Interesting Crvtte65 ... odd that it's o.k. under all but the center setting.
    What's the size of this .jpg? And your screen resolution? And have you had success with other .jpg's as your wallpaper under the centered positioning?

I know, 20 questions game here! ;-) And if there is a corruption of the .jpg in some way... you could resample it in Irfanview (or another graphics program) and save it off under a different name and see if that alters this behavior.
    Windows 10 on: ~Asus P5B-E ~Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz ~G. Skill (2 x 2GB) PC2-6400 ~EVGA 7900GTX ~Kingston SSD (for the OS) ~Western Digital 650GB Hard Drive (Data), Turtle Beach Santa Cruz w/Klipsh 2.1 Pro Media Speakers ~ Twin BenQ FP202W 20.1" LCD's

Oh ok I get the program now! If I have to I'd do that but I'd like to figure out why Windows cannot do it.

The plots twists... I tried using "center" on the pre-installed wallpapers.... works fine. I tried using it on some of the 30GB of pictures on a different HD, works fine. Then I went and tried again on pictures on another partition (of two, 1 storage, other OS) of the OS HD. No good. I cut the picture and put it on the desktop (now on the OS partition) and works.

I am curiously intrigued as to why it doesn't like this particular partition to be centered.
    ~Scott

Tell us more on this 'other partition' ... is it a removable drive? Or, designated as such... and other pictures on said partition act fine, just the one that is odd....???
    Windows 10 on: ~Asus P5B-E ~Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz ~G. Skill (2 x 2GB) PC2-6400 ~EVGA 7900GTX ~Kingston SSD (for the OS) ~Western Digital 650GB Hard Drive (Data), Turtle Beach Santa Cruz w/Klipsh 2.1 Pro Media Speakers ~ Twin BenQ FP202W 20.1" LCD's

Ok here is how it's set up so far:

Two Internal Western Digi HD's

I) 60 GB
    Partition 1 (C): 10GB - Win 2000; Appears OK
    Partition 2 (D): 46GB - Storage, where the pictures aren't showing up

II) 160GB
    Partition 1 (G): 30GB - Appears OK
    Partition 2 (H): 30GB - No pictures, just media
    Partition 3 (I): 100GB - Appears OK
    ~Scott

And, is it just that one picture in that partition that has problems.??? Or is it any picture in that partition???

Bottom line I suppose is that it's no big deal as you can get it to work..... but, still an odd one there!

ye ano kidding, it's all pictures on that partition, and ones that I transfer from it to others work and vice versa (put onto it) don't work. Kinda a glitch I guess. Kinda like my sound not working if my computer goes into standby and having to restart the computer to get it back. An excuse to build the dream computer (well actually have someone do it for me )
    ~Scott

Talking Similar Problem

I had a similar problem. What I did was: under the theme tab in display properties, the theme was set to Modified theme. I changed it to "my current theme" and applied the setting. Then my wallpaper showed up.

Thread Information