memory how to?

Thread: memory how to?

Question memory how to?

A friend at work has an IBM 760XL he wants to add memory to. Can anyone tell him how? There is no trap door on bottom. We can't seem to get the keyboard to come up to look inside either. Perhaps someone is familiar with this model. Email to IBM didn't get a response. A phone call was met with people who could barely speak English and no resolution. Thanks for any help in advance.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Beside the keyboard there should be a push slide button on each side, slide these buttons toward the you while sitting in front of the laptop. You'll need to slide them, and lift at the same time.

A phone call was met with people who could barely speak English and no resolution
    Sad, isn't it?
    You're going to find two memory slots and a toggle switch.
    1 slot for a 32mb max module, the other for a 64mb max module.
    Install the 64mb module in the socket on the right, the 32mb module in the left. Flip the toggle switch to the left so that it can recognize the 64mb module. The system also has 16mb on-board, non-removable memory. If you max out the memory slots, it gets reduced to 8mb. All that system can recognize is a grand total of 104mb memory. You can put more in there but it's a waste of money. If you've got two identical 32mb modules, leave the toggle switch alone. 2-32mb modules + 16mb on-board would give you 80mb total.

Originally posted by photolady
    Beside the keyboard there should be a push slide button on each side, slide these buttons toward the you while sitting in front of the laptop. You'll need to slide them, and lift at the same time.
    Thanks photolady. We were trying that with no luck. Perhaps we weren't pulling hard enough on the keyboard. Afraid to break it. It seemed like all those buttons did was latch the lid shut though. I will have him try again. I take it you're familiar with this model?

Originally posted by Triple7's
    Sad, isn't it?
    You're going to find two memory slots and a toggle switch.
    1 slot for a 32mb max module, the other for a 64mb max module.
    Install the 64mb module in the socket on the right, the 32mb module in the left. Flip the toggle switch to the left so that it can recognize the 64mb module. The system also has 16mb on-board, non-removable memory. If you max out the memory slots, it gets reduced to 8mb. All that system can recognize is a grand total of 104mb memory. You can put more in there but it's a waste of money. If you've got two identical 32mb modules, leave the toggle switch alone. 2-32mb modules + 16mb on-board would give you 80mb total.
    Yes Triple 7's it sure is. Very frustrating to have a problem to solve and not be able to understand the person. Thanks for the detailed instructions. I would have had no clue about the toggle switch or which module went where. Now if we get the lid up I will follow your directions

Boomer, if you haven't already, try pushing them away from you while lifting up on the keyboard. It's been sometime since I had my Thinkpad 760XD, but what I suggested before got me thinking I pushed them away from me, instead of pulling toward me.

Thank you I will have him try. We haven't had any luck as of yet.

Well thank you photolady. Just got an email from my friend saying it was smooth and easy to get up after trying your suggestion. Next item will be to install the memory now. Thanks again.

Good to hear boomer. Installing memory should go smoothly also if your friend follows Triple7's advice.

Thread Information