My router won't handshake

Thread: My router won't handshake

My router won't handshake

Hola,
    I have a DLINK DI-524 router that works perfectly at home with "my" cable modem. Today I took it to a friends, and I could not get it to handshake with their cable modem. We are both on the same ISP, but w/different Primary DNS Address for the ISP.

Here is the problem, When plugged into "their" cable modem, I get no IP assigned to the router. I can't find anywhere to punch in the gateway or dchp server. I did try entering "their" primary dns address. Still no luck. But all this info works perfectly at home when I enter "my" primary dns.

On my modem I get an IP, subnet, and Default Gateway, seemingly automatically, but on theirs, all I get is 0.0.0.0 as my IP.

So this is why I am stumped and can't seem to get the handshake.
    A

A lot of US cable ISPs seem to involve the connecting device's MAC address in the authentication process. There should be an option in your router's setup to set the MAC address on the WAN interface; try setting that to the MAC address of your friend's network card (run "ipconfig /all" at a command prompt to find it). Make sure you write the old one down first; you'll need to change it back when you take the router back home.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Success!

In this case, it seemed to be a combination of restoring the router to its factory settings, and then rebooting it and rebooting the cable modem in proper sequence.

I left the Primary and secondary DNS addresses blank. Also left the mac address empty. Everything important autodetects its own settings. Couple of tries, then bingo. Success! No problems. Networking is weird because sometimes getting the handshake is easiest when less is down by hand.

Anyway,
    Cheers
    A

Thread Information