wireless network

Thread: wireless network

wireless network

Hello a friend at work asked me about this but, I had no clue so I thought I would try to find an answer for him here. What he wants to do is use a wireless network to share an internet connection but, he does not want the machines to be able to access each other except to share that. Is this possible? I guess he doesnt want his kids to be able to see his machine and create any havoc. Thanks in advance

Greetings boomer_106,

Yes, it is possible. What operating systems is your friend running and what type of Internet connection? Each computer will need a wireless network card installed on each of the computers he wants to be wireless. There is a good guide for wireless home networking that your friend can read that he might find useful.

Beginners Guides: Wireless home networking
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1428
    Eric

hi Eric. He is running Windows 98 and dsl. He knows you can share the internet connection but, he is asking if that can be as far as the wireless network goes. He does not want the kids to be able to view his PC. I havent ever done a network so I couldn't help other than to get whatever info I can here.

All he has to do is run personal firewall software (either Windows Firewall or a third-party program) on his machine, and not tell it to trust the other machines on his network. That'll keep his kids out just as well as it keeps Internet machines out, no matter how his PC is configured.

Chances are that he doesn't have directories shared or anything yet though, so there's not a lot that the kids could do anyway.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Ahh ok I see. Thats good information. Are there any concerns if the neighbors happen to have wireless equipment? I was reading about that at some site. Could they see his pc with a firewall installed?

With a properly configured firewall, your friend should be safe. Here are some basic security measures that anyone should take with a wireless network. [list=1][*]Enable the highest level of encryption that your wireless network equipment supports. From highest to lowest: WPA, 128 bit WEP, or 64-bit WEP.[*]Change the default SSID. [*]Change the encryption key regularly.[*]Change the router's password from its default.[*]Enable MAC address filtering. [*]Enable the router activity log and examine it regularly.[/list=1]
    Eric

Thanks guys I will relay the information to him. You have been very helpful.

Thread Information