Help...Trojan.ByteVerify

Thread: Help...Trojan.ByteVerify

Unhappy Help...Trojan.ByteVerify

I am running Windows XP home edition.I noticed my computer was running very slow so I ran AD-Aware but I got a warning saying that AD-Aware had a missing or corrupted file so then I uninstalled Ad-Aware and reinstalled it. While running the scan my Norton Anti-Virus notified me of the virus.Action taken:clean failed: Quarantine succeeded: access denied. Can someone help me out here.Thanks in advance.Also does anyone know when PCworld will be back online? I found some free programs that I need.Thanks again.

Reboot in Safe mode (instructions) and then try re-running Ad-Aware.

Just tried http://www.pcworld.com and it's up.
    Vernon Frazee, Microsoft MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

Defenses Up!
    Tip: When prompted for a password, give an incorrect one first. A phishing site will accept it; a legitimate one won't.

Inside Spyware: A Guide to Finding, Removing and Preventing Online Pests

If you don't keep up with security fixes, your computer|network won't be yours for long.

Thanks for the help.I am currently running a virus scan and so far it found 5 more of the same virus. I will try your advice and get back to you.Do you know where I could go to find out about this virus? Like was my personal information and banking info taken? I hope that makes sense.Thanks again.

I rebooted in safe mode without networking and it only found 6 object( they were cookies),351 process modules and at the bottom it had an exclamation point in a yellow triangle that said 32 negligible objects. My kids use the computer alot to play games so I figure that is probably where they are coming from.So what does all this mean?

You can delete them. They're called 'Negligible Risk Entries'. You won't get them if you turn off the feature that searches for them.

Open Ad-aware SE and click Start. On the next screen you'll see a green button that says "Search for negligible risk entries". Click the green button and it will turn red with an X in the center.

thanks, I will do that.I just downloaded WinPatrol,hopefully that will help me out. I just have to figure out what everything means.Thanks for your help.Does this mean the Trojan is gone?

It should be. Since you're using Norton AntiVirus, you may want to ran another scan. Here is Symantec's (Norton's) page on Trojan.ByteVerify.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...yteverify.html

thanks! You are awsome.Thanks so much for your time. I just did a virus scan in safe mode and it came up clean so that means that my system is ok now right?
    Last edited by melinda9723; November 7th, 2004 at 04:37 PM.

If it's clean, I'd say you have nothing more to worry about as long as you followed the instructions on the symantec site. I was infected with this virus once or twice before myself.

its back..this time even more...

ok guys,this Trojan thing is back again but this time I have 11 and some are in Sun Java.I know I need to follow the steps above to fix it but how can I find the sources? Since some are in Sun Java do I need to uninstall it? Is there anyway to see what damage this trojan is done to my computer? Someone please help I am afraid this Trojan is going to ruin my computer.Thanks for your time and help.

Provided that you have the most current Sun Java runtime, 1_4_2_06,

Control Panel > Java Plug-in > Cache > Clear.

You may want to un-check Enable Caching.
    Cheers.

thanks for the tip.I did as you said.Thanks again.

Thread Information