Old DOS Program, Windows XP, and Windows 3.1

Thread: Old DOS Program, Windows XP, and Windows 3.1

Old DOS Program, Windows XP, and Windows 3.1

Okay, here's the situation:

At work, we use an old DOS accounting program, and my computer has a fresh new install of Windows XP. I was able to run the program in the command prompt window of XP before the computer crashed; the new installation won't give me the command prompt window at all.

I've investigated many options, from changing command prompt window settings (no luck so far) to installing DOSbox or some other type of virtual machine to run DOS. Then I realized I've got a set of Windows 3.1 disks that aren't being used for anything else, and I might as well put them to use for me.

So, how would I go about doing this? My hard drive has a 2.1 gig partition that I can format with FAT16, but I read somewhere on this forum that in order to work properly, W3.1 needs to be installed on the first partition of a drive. I don't have another drive available to use.

And then there's the question of, once it's installed, how do I switch between XP and 3.1? Also, will I be able to access the files on the FAT16 partition using Windows Explorer when running XP?

Any suggestions/feedback/input would be appreciated. I'll answer any questions needed to help. Oh, and I don't need 3.1 to network at all.

Full system specs:
    * Intel Celeron 4A, 2600 MHz processor
    * MSI MS-6577 845 G.ver. 3.11 motherboard
    * 256 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM memory
    * Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC network adapter
    * Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0] video adapter, w/Intel Extreme Graphics
    * 80 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100 HDD
    * ASUS 48x/24x/52x CD-RW
    * 3.25" FDD, manufacturer unknown
    * AOC Spectrum 9Glr(A)/9Glrs(A), 19" CRT monitor
    * Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    * Microsoft Wireless Optical Intellimouse Explorer 2.0
    * Windows XP Home Edition OEM, SP2, Version 5.1.2600
    System Specs
    I've just launched VDr's UNofficial IRC lounge! irc.esper.net #vdrchat ~ Hope to see you there!

Try the information in the following link.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;314106
    Open your mind, not your computer.

Robert M's suggestion would be the first to explore. If the program worked satisfactorally before the crash, getting DOS operational in XP again is the best solution.

If this is a DOS program, Windows 3.1 won't help you. Windows 3.x had to run in a DOS environment. So you would need DOS 6.22 or earlier to run the Windows in. And that same DOS is probably all you need to run the program, without Windows.

As for your access, XP can access the FAT16 partition. So you would be able to access the FAT 16 partition with XP. However, you cannot go the other way. DOS 6.22 and older can only read FAT16. So the FAT 32 or NTFS would be invisible to it.

Just for the option, see Ramdrive or Windows 3.1/3.11 Menu. You have plenty of memory. If you don't need to store files on a hard drive, you could make a bootable CD with the Windows and all programs you want on it. If you needed to save a file, you would have to save it to an external device like a ZIP disk, floppy disk or network drive. Of course if you have a FAT16 partition, you can use that as well.

The graphics card may be limited with Windows 3.x as there may be no drivers available. You will be limited to 16 color only.

As for the Windows 3.x on other than C drive, it will run on any drive. But your computer must boot from the first partition of a drive normally.

The switching could be done either by using a boot floppy or a bootable CD. Otherwise you will need a boot manager. If it were the first partition of a separate hard drive, you could select which drive to boot from in the BIOS.

------------------
    My
    Two Cents
    Dennis
    Visit Politalk
    Last edited by Eeyore; November 2nd, 2004 at 02:49 AM.

From Fred Langa
    http://www.freetune.com/extras/vpc.htm
    More on Virtual PC Technology

Here's a view of essentially all the major versions of Windows from the last 15 years all running at once on my XP Pro PC -- that's Windows 3.0, Win3.1, Win3.11, Win95, Win98, WinME, Win2000 (representing the whole NT family), Win XP Home, and DOS 6.22 thrown in for good measure, all running simultaneously on an XP Pro box.

[...continues...]
    (Click that second thumbnail image. Impressive. )

Fred Langa's original "Microsoft Virtual PC 2004" article:
    http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2004/2004-04-05.htm#1
    Vernon Frazee, Microsoft MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

Defenses Up!
    Tip: When prompted for a password, give an incorrect one first. A phishing site will accept it; a legitimate one won't.

Inside Spyware: A Guide to Finding, Removing and Preventing Online Pests

If you don't keep up with security fixes, your computer|network won't be yours for long.

Oh come on Vernon. Here I am with my Windows 98b resisting XP quite successfully. Now you put up a reason to get XP so I can play with older OS'es.

My big problem is hardware compatibility. I have a old Disney program "Follow The reader" that came packaged with a "Sound Source" audio card (I think it ran on the Parallel Port). I think the sound worked even better with a Sound Blaster 2.0 card. But it won't work correctly with my SB 16 and later cards. Same problem for my "Davidson's Kidworks". I use these for the grandkids. I think I have a Tandy 486 that may have a SB 2.0 card I can grab. So while we might emulate the environment, we may not get the hardware. Try as I might, I can't get that ISA card to fit in my PCI slot.

------------------
    My
    Two Cents
    Dennis
    Visit Politalk
    Last edited by Eeyore; November 2nd, 2004 at 01:48 PM.

Talking

For whatever reason, though it didn't work before, the command prompt window is now working. I changed the compatibility to Windows 95 (which I didn't have to do when it worked previously) and bingo. So, many thanks to you both...and if I Do ever decide to install 3.1 for any reason, I know where to come for advice

Now, I just have to figure out how to make it display the same way it used to....
    System Specs
    I've just launched VDr's UNofficial IRC lounge! irc.esper.net #vdrchat ~ Hope to see you there!

Originally posted by Eeyore
    Oh come on Vernon. Here I am with my Windows 98b resisting XP quite successfully. Now you put up a reason to get XP so I can play with older OS'es.
    Originally posted by Eeyore Try as I might, I can't get that ISA card to fit in my PCI slot.
    Know an old device driver programmer with some time on his hands?

http://www.costronic.com.tw/Ev72p.htm
    http://www.costronic.com/Ev71p.htm

Vernon Frazee, Microsoft MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

Defenses Up!
    Tip: When prompted for a password, give an incorrect one first. A phishing site will accept it; a legitimate one won't.

Inside Spyware: A Guide to Finding, Removing and Preventing Online Pests

If you don't keep up with security fixes, your computer|network won't be yours for long.

Thread Information