Belkin - This Device Cannot Start (Code 10)

Thread: Belkin - This Device Cannot Start (Code 10)

Belkin - This Device Cannot Start (Code 10)

My sister asked me to install a wireless network for her.... Specs...

Desktop --- Crapard Bell AMD 1600+ * 256mb Ram * XP Home
    Laptop -----Compaq Armada Pentium II 300 * 64mb Ram * XP Pro

1x Belkin PCI Network adaptor - F5d6000u
    2x Belkin PCMCIA F5d6020u

One of the PCMCIA Cards inserts into the PCI Adaptor on the desktop.

Basically all she wants is for the laptop to access the internet via her desktop.
    The PCMCIA works fine on the laptop but the desktop is a different matter.

Install the drivers for the PCI Adaptor ok, install the PCMCIA Drivers on the desktop, but the upon checking device manager the Belkin PCI adaptor with the PCMCIA Card inserted just wont work, the message i get is.....

This Device Cannot Start (Code 10)

Her desktop net connection is with NTL Home using an AEI USB To Fast Ethernet adaptor.

I uninstalled this just to see if there was any conflict but the Belkin still would not start so i just reinstalled the AEI USB

I have VERY limited experience of dealing with networks and im kinda stuck for ideas

Hopefully some of you guys will have an answer for me

Oh i also tried the Network adaptor in other PCI slots without success.
    Both the PCMCIA Cards DO work fine though as i tested them both on the laptop

Thank's and hopefully i'll get it sorted for her to stop her moaning at me :-)

Double-check the installation instructions again. The last adapter of that type I dealt with required stuff to be installed before the PCI card was installed.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Does the NTL Home modem have an ethernet connection on it (some modems have both ethernet and USB connections)? If it does, you could simplify things greatly by using a broadband router (with the NTL Home modem plugged into the WAN connection), and the desktop computer connected using the PCI ethernet adapter you've already installed, and a PCMCIA ethernet adapter in the laptop (which you already have working). The second PCMCIA adapter goes back to the store. The desktop and laptop plug into the router using two of its LAN ethernet ports.

I realize you've invested no small amount of time in the current configuration, but the above really is simpler, avoids the need for using ICS, and would probably be faster as well. You also wouldn't be using the PCMCIA socket adapter on the desktop, which must be there for some other reason anyways.

Go to Start > Run and type services.msc. Check if the wireless zero configuration is started.

If it isn't, you're going nowhere.

I used to run an Ad-Hoc wireless network using a PCI card and a PCMCIA card (Belkin 'G'). I now use a (Belkin) wireless router - far easier!

Originally posted by darkstar2003
    Go to Start > Run and type services.msc. Check if the wireless zero configuration is started.

If it isn't, you're going nowhere.

I used to run an Ad-Hoc wireless network using a PCI card and a PCMCIA card (Belkin 'G'). I now use a (Belkin) wireless router - far easier!
    I looked into this, i had two choices.
    1 - Stop the service
    2 - Restart the service

Clicked Restart the service, then re-booted but still didnt work

Not tried the other two pieces of advice from before Darkstars post yet due to work and nightmare explaining to the old sister over the phone what to do

Well in that case I echo the advice given earlier by Tuttle -

I too found that if the drivers were not installed BEFORE the devices, they failed to work correctly.

I did not get a 'Device failed to start' error message though.

I would shutdown the Desktop, remove the PCI card adaptor, Boot, remove all Belkin drivers, Reboot, then start from scratch.

Install the drivers for the PCI card, shutdown and fit PCI card. Reboot and install driver and run Belkin networking wizards for PCMCIA card, fit PCMCIA card (Should be no need to reboot here). If you still get the same error, either the XP installation has a services problem or the PCI adaptor is possibly at fault.

Hope you get it sorted. Let us know..............

ok dude i had this problem well it happens to me alot its easy to fix

first uninstall the belkin wireless thn turn it off and and take out the pci card or w/e it is and now turn on ur computer thn go to search and type belkin and delete any file with the name belkin.

thn install belkin and thn turn of the computer and put the card bak in and turn it on and now it will ask u to install the card and install it i hope i helped
    and does anyone know wtf code 10 is?!!

You need to pay attention to the comment posting dates. You replied to an almost 5 year old thread. The device in question is probably not even in use anymore.

Thread Information