Audio Input Stopped Working

Thread: Audio Input Stopped Working

Audio Input Stopped Working

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 running Windows XP. Every week (for 10 months), I've been copying a tape recording of my guitar lesson to my computer's hard drive through the audio input jack. I connect from my receiver's out jack to the audio input. I use Goldwave as my recording software. Last week, the process stopped working. Goldwave shows no signal from the input device. I tried plugging in a microphone to see if that would work, and no signal is detected from that either (I also tried selecting the microphone boost, and that had no effect). I've checked the Recording Controls in XP. I tried selecting Stereo Mix and then Microphone, but neither works. I ran MSINFO32 and it shows all devices working properly. I can't think of what I might have done in the past couple of weeks to affect my system's configuration. I'm stumped. Any ideas?

I found a newer version of my audio driver at dell.com, and updating the driver did the trick. I may never know why it stopped working in the first place, but that's often the case with Windows, isn't it?

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Drivers do get corrupted and installing an update at the time is the best way to fix it, most times. Sometimes you can reinstall the old driver from your pc's cd. Doing so, you would uninstall the one there and reinstall the one from the cd. But what you did works better.

Thread Information