Twain Problem???

Thread: Twain Problem???

Twain Problem???

I have an HP PSC 2110xi All-in-one running on Win XP Home. At unpredictable times the scanner will stop working with the message: "An error occured communicating with the scanning device. Please ensure that the scanning device is connected properly and try again". The printer though, still works. I
    have installed the latest software from HP, checked the cable, and use Via Rev5 or later USB drivers. Restarting the computer will NOT restore scanner operation.
    Just by luck, what I found is that in the C:\Documents&Settings\LindaJ\Local Settings\Temp folder,
    there are 4 files relating to Twain.
    Twain001.mtx
    Twunk001.mtx
    Twunk002.mtx
    Twain.log
    By deleting the Twain001.mtx file, scanning is restored, IMMEDIATELY. It is a small file, 1 to 4 KB. When viewed in Notepad, when the scanner is working, it always contains a number like 5 or 29. When viewed and the scanner is NOT working, it always contains letters such as zzzz or DDDD, and the Twain.log file reports: "atol FAILED". From an HP tech document I found that "atol" is a process that "converts string to integer".
    I don't know if this is a Twain problem, USB problem, scanner problem, or software conflict, because I can't predict when it will happen. I would come home from work and the wife would say: This ****** scanner doesn't work again, and I had all these pictures to scan today. So I created a workaround: Put a Batch file on the Desktop called FixScanner, that deletes the Twain001.mtx file. Works every time. I can live with this fix, but am interested in knowing if anyone has encountered this problem or has any ideas.

moper

moper

there are 4 files relating to Twain.
    Twain001.mtx
    Twunk001.mtx
    Twunk002.mtx
    Twain.log
    There should only be one Twain.mtx and the one Twain.log, so it appears you do have a Twain problem.
    It seems to me it might help to uninstall all Twain Drivers and then do a complete reinstall.

Hope this helps

How do you uninstall twain drivers?
    In the Windows folder are the 4 files:TWUNK_16.EXE and TWUNK_32.EXE files ,along with TWAIN_32.DLL and TWAIN.DLL.
    But if you delete them, they reappear.(Windows File Protection)
    Mine are dated 8/29/2002, same as all the other Windows installed files.
    HP tech support told me their scanner software only checks to see if they are present. If they are, it doesn't update them.
    Maybe they are not the problem. I have a usb smartmedia card reader. With it unplugged, I have not had any scanning problems, yet. Time will tell.

moper

moper,
    You should have this Install/Uninstall information in your HP Manual that came with the Equipment.

If it's not available to you, try here:

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/documen...etype=70901674

Also note on the left side of this page is links to all kinds of useful information.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by irdreed; February 20th, 2004 at 08:33 PM.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software 3 times. (different versions). Even used a scrubber utility provided by HP that removes all traces of the previous installation. Never a problem. Always worked flawlessly, considering it is a 200MB download.
    But like i said , HP tech support told me that their software does NOT replace Twain drivers. It only checks to see if they are present. If none are found, it will install them. Therefore XP's default drivers (Protected Files) stay.

moper

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software 3 times. (different versions). Even used a scrubber utility provided by HP that removes all traces of the previous installation. Never a problem. Always worked flawlessly, considering it is a 200MB download.
    WHEW!!

This is an interesting problem. Sorry to say I don't have Win XP on my system, but I'd like to offer this from MS KB site:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

Also am I correct in saying you ran this:
    http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/documen...0741&cat=solve

Post back results.
    Last edited by irdreed; February 21st, 2004 at 09:44 AM.

Yes, I have seen that article. I didn't upgrade, so I didn't think it pertained to me. On the other hand , the technology is getting way over my head.
    I do have Ulead Photo Express installed and when you scan from that program, a box pops up asking if I want to use: 1) HP psc2110 or 2) WIA drivers. ????? Always chose the HP.
    Also I know HP installs some small files in the Windows\Twain_32 folder that somehow interact with the Twain interface. I think it is all to technical to fully understand, unless you are a hardware designer.
    I have not had the problem yet with the smartmedia card reader unplugged. Maybe the problem is a USB conflict.
    Anyhow it is not a major problem and I can live with it. Sometimes I just want to know how things work. That's why I read these forums. And it is true: The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.
    I thank you for your interest, irdreed.

moper

moper

Thanks. Appreciate the comeback.

Originally posted by moper
    Yes, I have seen that article. I didn't upgrade, so I didn't think it pertained to me. On the other hand , the technology is getting way over my head.............
    moper
    Happened across your thread. Re: the technology, it is getting away from me too.

Had a similar problem with an earlier all-in-one that was a USB device (printer/scanner) connected to a PCI 5 port USB2.0 hub card.

I also do not have Win XP, running Win ME for now. But maybe you can use the ideas I got from M$ and the scanner techs.

I had to uninstall the scanner driver software and the associated editing software (in my case, a Visioneer all in one and PaperPort editor). Then ran the procedure to clear NV Ram (non-volatile ram memory). On my Dell dimension 8100, it is a simple keystroke procedure. Your machine OEM can tell you yours.

I had to go into Safe mode to empty and delete contents of the C:/Windows Temp and Temp Downloads folders. And finally had to get e-mail instructions from M$ to Remove USB Devices and to Remove USB Device Enumeration Registry Keys. Sorry, I do not have the print out any longer and there was no Knowledge Base # with it. (try this M$ KB # Q303029 and follow steps 4,5,6, and 7. Yeah, it is for a joystick problem, but it is the closest I could find. Not sure if it works on Win XP)

And lastly, I had to do a Clean Boot using MSCONFIG, on General tab, unchecking the Start up, Environmental Variables and VXD devices boxes, and restarting, then reinstall the scanner software with editing stuff.

This worked in Win ME, and the key seems to be that the multiple drivers in the all -in-one device like a clean slate of fresh unused windows twain drivers and USB port drivers, plus nothing running in the background, to install properly. Especially anti-virus.

Perhaps this will give you an idea as to a fix for your problem.

Regards,
    SPQR33
    Last edited by SPQR33; February 21st, 2004 at 11:05 AM.
    THE ONLY FAILURE IN LIFE IS THE FAILURE TO DO. DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY! "YODA" __ Please post a response so that I and others may gain from your experience

SPQR33,

I was under the impression that this article by HP was intended to do a complete uninstall

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/documen...1843&cat=setup

Interesting post though.

A lot of good ideas.
    On my last install, I did dowhload and run HP's Scrubber utility. (actually twice because you have to choose which version you are uninstalling) Probably same thing as the uninstaller utility on the CD, which would be an older version. In one year there has been at least 4 versions of this software.
    I did unplug the smartmedia reader and turn of as many programs as possible before reinstalling. So far it seems to be OK.
    I was just amazed that when the scanner did fail, I could get it working by deleting a file in, of all places, the Temp folder. I guess this sort of caused it to like refresh its settings.

Thread Information