AOL Optimized

Thread: AOL Optimized

AOL Optimized

I am working on a friend's computer that uses AOL. Operating system is XP and was running AOL 6.0. Friend loaded up 9.0 and started having problems connecting to AOL. Initial message was modem could not be initialized. The modem works fine, queries etc. AOL has not been much help in resolution, basically just confirming that the modem works. I get through the sixth step of trying to connect to AOL and it returns connection failed. This happens time after time. Account is up to date and can be accessed from other computers, so the bill is paid. I finally talked the guy into ditching AOL for a local provider. We get an account established and get connected up without problems. However, through IE I cannot browse ANY web sites. I have uninstalled AOL and went through deleting remaining folders and made edits to the Reg for AOL remnants.

Anyone experience something like this? I have been left scratching my head and just short of frapping the machine to its original config and starting from scratch.

Thanks in advance to any replies.

I'm curious as to why your friend didn't use XP's restore feature the the most recent point before the AOL install. Can you find one that is workable? That would be a good start.

AOHell,no matter 'what' version is comparable to a many legged octopus. And it puts those 'legs' into places unimagineable on the OS. May be you didn't get it all removed. My suggestion would be to back up all needed/wanted programs and wipe the drive and start 'clean'...
    Stupid question? No such thing!
    Virtual Dr. to the rescue!
    Just ask. Bookmark your post for easy reference.
    ==================================

I did use the XP restore feature and still had problems. I even went through the entire registry removing any referral to AOL. AOL was no help in resolving the problem. Their answer was uninstalling and trying a different 9.0 CD.

I ended up just frapping the machine and reloading from scratch. After doing this the problem was resolved. Just unfortunate that a person has to go to that length to overcome AOL tenticles.

Thanks to those that replied.

Thread Information