install an old Word 97 update CD

Thread: install an old Word 97 update CD

install an old Word 97 update CD

I have an old Word 97 update CD. It was loaded on my old PC on a 10 GB HD. I bought a new 80 GB HD and reinstalled windows so my son could use the computer. Word 97 won't install because its an upgrade version and I can't even remember what version I had before (maybe Word 6.0) but I definitely don't have the old CD or discs. Any way out of this besides buying a new version?

Not any legal ways I'm afraid. You'll have to buy a copy if yours is just for upgrading, but you can try online at Ebay or something. As long as it's a new set that hasn't been installed elsewhere first, I should think it'd be legal. Mind you, you need to lookout for people selling burned copies and pawning them off as originals.

Just for curiosity's sake, was Word part of a CD that your PC came with, perhaps on the restore CD? I know you said you don't have a full install disc, but perhaps they put it on the restoration CD for when/if you ever had to reformat. Just a though.

Thanks. You're right. Somewhere in the mess I call an office are those CD's. But where? Wish me luck?

Best of luck! I hope you find it.

Thread Information