I don't want sounds

Thread: I don't want sounds

I don't want sounds

when I empty my recycle bin my system speaker beeps

my sound scheme is set to none

it appears that if empty recycle bin has no sound assigned it will play the sound assigned to default beep and if default beep has no sound set then it will beep the system speaker.

so does anyone know of a reg hack to stop the recycle bin from calling the default beep?

do you have a setting in your PC's BIOS to disable onboard speaker?

TEk

I'm not sure that I don't (I could always just unplug it). but in any case I don't want to disable the speaker.

as a workaround I could also create a tiny wav with no sound and assign that to empty recycle bin event.

it is just a minor annoyance in how win2000 handles this. does anyone know if xp exhibits this same behavior? the win9x family did not.

semble--Don't your speakers have an On/Off switch? If not, I guess I will have to be more careful the next time I buy speakers.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Just go to control panel, sounds and multimedia, scroll down the list of events, select Empty recycle Bin and remove the sound by selecting "none" in the scroll box marked Name underneath. Empty recycle bin is listed under windows explorer.
    Last edited by bgraham; May 16th, 2003 at 08:48 PM.
    Just Bob in New York

Welshjim: yes my speakers do have an on/off switch. but it is the system speaker that beeps

bgraham: my scheme is set to none (this means all my sound events are set to none)

if the recycle bin = "none" and default beep = "ding.wav"
    then when you emtpy the recycle bin it plays "ding.wav"

if the recycle bin = "none" and default beep = "none"
    then when you emtpy the recycle bin the system speaker beeps

Next to the "Empty Recycle Bin" there is an Icon that looks like a loudspeaker. Select / highlight the "Empty recycle Bin" then under where it says "Name" select "None" which is at the top of the list. the speaker icon should dissappear. Then just select OK and the sound when you empty the recycle bin should be gone.
    Just Bob in New York

not quite what I want.. but better for now

deleting the key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Explorer\EmptyRecycleBin]

gives me the desired results of no system beep. however I would rather eliminate the call to Default Beep, if there is no sound set for the recycle bin, than the entire event.
    if in the future for some reason I want to assign a sound to empty recycle bin I will have to recreate this key.

Thread Information