Installing multiple OS (NT 4.0 & 95)

Thread: Installing multiple OS (NT 4.0 & 95)

Installing multiple OS (NT 4.0 & 95)

I'm new to the world of NT and I am planning on installing NT so I can learn how to use it while keeping 95 running as my primary OS. Ths may sound strange but before I get a job I would like to know how to drive NT (looking for work in IT). What is the best way to install both OS on the one machine so that it boots into 95 unless prompted to go to NT?? Also any tips on NT would also be appreciated

Make sure your c: is fat16 (not fat32). install NT. Personally I prefer to keep it on a seperate hard drive or partition, that way you can use NTFS for NT and still run DOS/win95. If you are going to work with NT professionally, you should be familiar with the security features of NTFS.
    Once NT is installed, go to control panel-system. select teh startup/shutdown tab and you can select the default OS and amount of time before it is automatically selected.

The main trick to doing a dual boot is to install 95 first. If you install NT first, 95 will mess up your boot.ini, and then you will have to do a repair on it. If 95 is already loaded, then just do a standard install of NT, and make sure to put it in a different directory (defaults should work fine).

Stirby has the right idea. Make sure you load '95 first and leave a drive or a partition the size that you want your NT OS to have. That's true for both Server and Workstation. You could even have a triple boot option by loading both Server and Workstation. You'll want to have two drives or partitions for that! The NT load will ask you where you want to the install to go. You will want to choose the drive or partition you left for NT. In either case you do not have to format the area, NT will ask if that's what you want during the install. It's up to you to decide if you want NTFS or FAT16 system. You can convert from FAT to NTFS but not from NTFS to FAT later. Also, Chappy is right on about the FAT16 deal. NT does not recognize the FAT32 of '95B version.
    Good luck with it...

Thread Information