[RESOLVED] Windows folder not displayed

Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows folder not displayed

Resolved [RESOLVED] Windows folder not displayed

My folder for 'Windows' was originally in Drive C together with Program Files, Documents and Settings. Currently the Windows folder cannot be seen even I choose to show the hidden files. Running through 'search', it traces Windows folder is still in C. How do I make the folder visible in C again?

Posted at Microsoft:

Show Hidden Program or System Files

Showing hidden files can come in handy—for example, say you've tried to delete everything from a floppy disk and the disk properties still indicate 100K of disk space is being used by hidden files.

To see hidden files:

1. On the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, click Folder Options.
    2. Click the View tab.
    3. Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

Note To access Windows Explorer, click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinma View Post
    Posted at Microsoft:

Show Hidden Program or System Files

Showing hidden files can come in handy—for example, say you've tried to delete everything from a floppy disk and the disk properties still indicate 100K of disk space is being used by hidden files.

To see hidden files:

1. On the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, click Folder Options.
    2. Click the View tab.
    3. Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

Note To access Windows Explorer, click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.
    I did as what you mentioned. I still cannot get back the 'windows' folder. I went back to the window explorer only to find out the clicked 'Show hidden files and folders' has changed back to its original 'unclicked' status. I tried to click again but the same thing happened.

There are Three hide options.. UNcheck em all... Or at least uncheck the System files.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Quote Originally Posted by william lan
    I did as what you mentioned...I went back to the window explorer only to find out the clicked 'Show hidden files and folders' has changed back to its original 'unclicked' status. I tried to click again but the same thing happened.
    Scan system for malware.
    Cheers.

Have unchecked hidden files and scanned system for malware, nothing changes.

If unable to detect/delete malware,
    Quickest alternative,
    Clean install the operating system.
    Cheers.

Thanks for the alternative but am more of curiosity to find a way to revert to its original status. After all I realize I could get into 'windows' in C drive by C:\windows. BUT why the folder won't appear?

Fire up Regedit, then navigate to:

HK_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Then find the Dword key "Hidden". Give it a value of 1. If the key does not exist, then create one. If you want to show the System files as well, then give "ShowSuperHidden" a value of 1.
    Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSparks View Post
    Fire up Regedit, then navigate to:

HK_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Then find the Dword key "Hidden". Give it a value of 1. If the key does not exist, then create one. If you want to show the System files as well, then give "ShowSuperHidden" a value of 1.
    Executed but did not help either. When checked both 'changed values', they got back to their original values. I gave another shot and restarted, the 'windows folder' remains hidden in C. Checking back the supposedly 'changed values', they return to to their original values.
    After tracking 'windows folder' through C:\windows, I tried to copy 'windows folder' to desktop and even to another drive, thinking of dragging back to replace it in C. Unfortunately, could not copy all due to an error message stating 'default folder being used by a person or program'.
    Last edited by william lan; March 14th, 2011 at 09:06 PM.

william lan--Do a System Restore to time before the problem started.
    Windows is not a hidden folder.
    Running through 'search', it traces Windows folder is still in C.
    What do you see when you right click on that Search result and then left click "Open file location"?
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Quote Originally Posted by Welshjim View Post
    william lan--Do a System Restore to time before the problem started.
    Windows is not a hidden folder.

What do you see when you right click on that Search result and then left click "Open file location"?
    I could not do a system restore as my previous created point has disappeared leaving a clean calender.
    However, the Search showed Windows in folder 'C:\'. So, I right clicked Windows to get into Properties only to find out the Windows were checked on Hidden box. Just simply clicked off the Hidden box then applied. Finally the Windows appear.
    Thank you so much for leading me to this point. I also wish to thank the others who have tried to help me, at the same time, added knowledge to my understanding. All the best to you all and regards.

william lan--Glasd to hear all is well.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Thread Information