[RESOLVED] There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request

Thread: [RESOLVED] There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request

Resolved [RESOLVED] There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request

Hi all, sorry to trouble you on a Sunday evening!

Have a network with Windows 2000 Server acting as AD, DNS, DHCP, etc.

Have just dropped a Windows 2003 Server into the network. It's only function is a File Server. Have created some shares on this server and tested these shares using a few client PCs running XP. One of the PCs is getting the following error when trying to view the share in 'My Network Places':

"\\Machinename is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request."

I then logged in to same PC as a different user, and am able to browse the share. The affected user has the same rights as the other users I have tried (Domain Users). The share incidentally is secured to 'Domain Users'.

The funny thing is that I have found a workaround. If I map the share it fails, but if I map the share and provide the affected user's credentials using the 'connect using a different user name' option, it works! Surely the credentials being used are the same!

Any ideas? I'm stumped!

TEk

Kind of resolved. Just posting my feedback in case anyone else should run into the same issue. I've also got a follow on question to pose.

Found a trust relationship on the domain for a domain that no longer exists. The current domain is abc.xyz.com and the domain that no longer exists appears to be the parent domain xyz.com - once I removed the trust relationship from all the DCs, the share is now asking me for credentials instead of giving the error. This is still incorrect but at least it's a step forward.

Here is a snapshot of the screen I now get:

warrior.gif

Here's the question. Where are these previous logins being stored? I would expect that it would first use my existing network login credentials as it does with the other network shares. The only other bit of information I can give is that the servername that I am connecting to (WARRIOR) is the same name of the old parent DC. I would like to revert back to using my login credentials.

Thanks,

TEk

To clear out the previous logins, run "control userpasswords2" (no quotes), go to the Advanced tab and click Manage Passwords.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Tuttle - that worked like a charm. Thanks ever so much.

All makes sense now. Because that user account had an (old) entry for the machinename that I was connecting to, it was trying to validate that first, and thus against a domain controller that no longer existed on the network. As soon as I removed that login from Stored User Names and Passwords, the issue completely disappeared.

Thanks again Tuttle.

TEk

Thread Information