Known issues Xp SP3 on AMD CPU Based Machine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Known issues Xp SP3 on AMD CPU Based Machine

Known issues Xp SP3 on AMD CPU Based Machine

Regards Blue

HP begs AMD PC owners to put XP SP3 on ice
    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...hp_xp_sp3_amd/
    "HP is working diligently with Microsoft on a software update and will be proactively distributing a patch this week through HP Update that will prevent this error from occurring," said the computer giant in a statement. "HP recommends consumers with AMD-based desktops wait until after HP's or Microsoft's updates have been deployed on their systems to install Service Pack 3."

On Wednesday HP, which is the world’s biggest computer vendor, posted advice on its website about its Pavilion and Compaq Presario desktop PCs:

“After installing the initial release of Service Pack 3 for Windows XP an error condition can occur. The Service Pack 3 update copies an Intel power management driver to the computer that was not on the computer before the update.

“During Windows startup, computers with AMD processors may experience a blue screen error,” it said.

( ... customers have also complained that the glitch has occurred following the install of XP SP3 on PCs from Dell, Gateway and Lenovo, while others have suggested Asus chipsets have also been crippled by the reboot problems.)

HP said it hopes to push out a patch named SP37394 to customers within the next week. No word yet on when y’all can expect to see a fix from Microsoft, however.
    Microsoft TechNet Forums » Windows XP IT Pro » Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
    After XP SP3 Upgrade - Device Manager Empty / Network Connection Icons Missing
    http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/...&tf=0&pageid=0

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (All Languages)
    http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
    Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is valid until April 14, 2009. For more information about this policy, visit the Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223. Chat and e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. For all other Windows XP issues, visit the Help and Support site at http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173, and then choose your product.
    Last edited by SpywareDr; May 20th, 2008 at 06:17 AM.

Just another example of the Wintel machine trying to squeeze out the only competition.
    I also don't buy a different Logo causes problems like those either.
    Last edited by videobruce; July 13th, 2008 at 10:51 AM.
    Copyright protection & Intellectual property my ass. All the studios want is more money & control.
    Enough is enough!

I receive these prompts: (1) "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the 'Scan' disk and click "OK". (2) "Error 1706. No valid source could be found product Scan. The Windows Installer cannot continue." (3) "The file '1' is not a valid installation package for the product Scan. Try to find the installation package, 'Scan.msi in a folder from which you can install Scan."
    Please help me out and give me the solution for the same

sanchyita - please start a new thread of your own and give as much info as possible.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

...............starting with what you are talking about.
    Copyright protection & Intellectual property my ass. All the studios want is more money & control.
    Enough is enough!

well, I have already updated with sp3 on my amd machine without any error. Does it mean that microsoft has taken care of it by now ?

The Computer messed up my life, did it yours too

Doubt it, you just got lucky (so far).
    Enough is enough!

Well, I was wrong. I had to fresh install windows xp pro sp2 on my AMD machine. It automatically downloaded sp3 update and I permitted it to install. Once the machine
    rebooted, everything seemed fine but DSL connection through the ethernet stopped working. I peeked into the network connections and tcp/ip and it all seemed unchanged. Since, I had paucity of time, I just uninstalled sp3 update and after the reboot, the
    net connection through ethernet is working fine as before.

Now, what could be the reason for this ? anyone pls ?

The Computer messed up my life, did it yours too

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (All Languages)
    http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
    Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is valid until April 14, 2009. For more information about this policy, visit the Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223. Availability of chat or e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. For customers residing in North America or Canada, chat and e-mail support is available.

[...continues...]

I am assuming this is resolved as I have xp sp3 on this AMD Athlon 3800+ machine with no problems.
    Something to do while waiting for long downloads. Atari Adventure

Most of it was caused by HP, if I remember right, cloning Intel based machine to AMD computers.

But still something to watch out for.

As Train said, the problem was with OEMs installing Intel software into their images. Clean installs on AMD systems are NOT AFFECTED.

Thread Information