Warning: Freedom Furniture Laptop Table Destroys Laptop

View Poll Results: Should a "Laptop Table" safely support a laptop?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

6 85.71%
  • no

1 14.29%

Thread: Warning: Freedom Furniture Laptop Table Destroys Laptop

Exclamation Warning: Freedom Furniture Laptop Table Destroys Laptop

I recently bought a "Freedom Furniture Laptop Table" for my one week old Acer Ferrari laptop.

After checking the screws were tightly in place and re-reading the instruction/warning booklet, I sat down with my laptop and proceeded to to adjust it to a comfortable position.

Little did I expect that one of the adjustment buttons would throw the laptop backwards onto the floor, smashing the screen.

To date their response has been that it was "my mistake" for not watching their in-shop product demonstration (that was never offered to me), and that a little sticker underneath the table was "adequate warning" that their table would destroy any laptop on their laptop table.

Given that I read the entire instruction manual specifically looking for warnings, I don't think I was given "adequate warning". The main warning in the instruction booklet is regarding the use of harsh abrasives whilst cleaning it. No mention is made about the product's potential inability to support a laptop.

The adjustment controls on the table are similar to those on most office chairs. Given Freedom's reasoning, every person that does not climb underneath their office chair searching for warning stickers before adjusting it's height or angle should expect that they will be thrown backwards onto the floor. Please keep this in mind if you're considering purchasing anything from Freedom Furniture.

Video Demonstration of the table throwing a stunt laptop: YouTube link

Adjusting any table after the laptop's on it is like adjusting your car seat after you're on the road, or moving a dinner table after the food's on it. Expect the unexpected.

Even so, after watching that video, I'm bound to say that it's about the last thing I would have expected a table to do. What the hell were they thinking to have it spring loaded like that? It's almost as if they had specifically designed the thing to throw the lappy on the floor

I feel for you argZero.
    Nick.

Thread Information