2 Blue screens of death - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 Blue screens of death

Oops, i found a Toshiba link before i posted, the Compaq drivers have been posted here: http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=23712

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W
    27" iMac:I5 2500S|12GB Crucial DDR3|ATI 1GB 6970|1TB|Superdrive|Mighty Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by LindaHewitt
    You might also do a Google search on "ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M driver update" or you could do a search on "ATI Radeon XPress driver update"; without the quote marks, of course.

Cheers,

Linda
    lol, I actully did that before I tried to automatically update using the Device Manager. Thanks though!

Wow the driver is 37 MB. It looks like it's just the default driver, but I'll see if it works. Thanks for the link! <3

i am getting the exact same error, and when i googled dump_wmimmc.sys, this was the first site it gave me =)
    i seem to be getting this error a lot when i'm playing games, especially when i alt-tab out of games or when i'm exiting a game.
    in my system events, i found this:

Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

not very helpful...
    i installed some newer drivers, version 84.21, for my 7800 GTX, but i'm still getting this BSOD.
    any help will be appreciated =)

Hi kwongnewman, and Welcome to Virtual Dr.

The latest Nvidia Forceware Drivers are 91.xx, and are available here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_91.31.html

Liam
    Desktop:I5 2500K|Asus P8Z68-V|8GB Corsair Vengeance|1280MB Nvidia 560 TI PE|1TB Seagate/60GB OCZ SSD|LG Blu-ray Writer|Corsair 750W

ok, i'll install the newest drivers and see if i still get the BSOD
    thanks for your reply!

Hi folks. I've been doing a little bit of research on this for a week now. I'll just sorta fill you in on what I've found and you can choose to do with what you will. (and no I don't have a real solution, this is just information)

The common thing among all this is Maple Story. More specifically gameguard. Gameguard by nProtect is somewhat well known as a rootkit. ( Don't freak out just yet, cuz rootkits aren't exactly evil all the time. All it does is hide processes in this instance) If you've done a bit of digging, you'd know that gameguard sort of hijacks your kernel processes. Ok I don't know if hijacking is actually accurate, but what it does is kill your kernel and replaces it with one of it's own. Allowing it to have pretty much full access to your system. Now this new fake kernel pretty much has say over what can and can't be done on your system somewhat (this is to prevent hacks in short).

When gg starts up, it will create a temporary file (what everyone sees as dump_wmimmc.sys) sets up its hooks and then boot the game. If for any reason gg sees something it considers "threatening" it will call for a reboot.

The crash you experience when quitting the game I believe starts out when the temp file is cancelled, yet the hooks remain.

There's not really anything you can do as it's pretty much up to nProtect to fix this problem. Its not so much maple story as it is gameguard. I've had this problem for a long time just that it didn't get serious until the BSODs. I think what clued me in was when my device drivers started crashing like crazy (bluetooth stacks etc.) Even with yesterday's latest patch, nothing is to be done. In fact, gameguard now thinks my logitech game profiler is malicious and will force a shutdown of the game.

I know not everyone is experiencing this, but from some of the systems I've tested, it seems to be affecting specifically windows xp sp2. I've tried this on windows 2000 with sp2, sp3 and sp4 installed as well as windows xp with sp1 and sp2 installed.

Well that's what I've discovered so far and if there are any corrections to be made, please correct me.

Oh and just so you know, there is a known vulnerability involved with nProtect gameguard which does allow malicious code to be injected into your system.

As great as "free" games go, maple is one of them. But there is no way I am going to continue with it anymore because of nProtect software. Or any game using nProtect. (this was supposed to prevent hacking, but has been nothing short of failure. What is the point when gg can easily be circumvented by hackers?) I suppose the intent was good, just the execution was horrendous.

Companies like wiznet and nprotect seem to only care if it affects their bottom line (try contacting them and you will see what I mean). So your cries will go in vain until a large portion of their paying players start quitting. I spend what most people consider way too much money on games etc. and I can tell you, these guys aren't going to get my money.

Thanks for the information everyone, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person experiencing this problem.

In my case, I began having problems with Maple Story about a week ago when I would randomly be kicked from the game and presented with error 230 from GameGuard, which said that it had failed to initialize. After countless reinstallations on two different drives, I still experienced the problem. Only this week has it gotten worse in that I am now experiencing the reboots that everyone has previously mentioned. Currently I am unable to load Maple Story as it wants to patch (I assume a new version was released by Wizet in the past two days) but instead my machine performs an involuntary reboot (presumably due to GameGuard).

Based on what everyone has been saying, does anyone think it is possible that we are all running a common process that GameGuard doesn't like? I'm currently running XP SP1, so I don't think it's an isolated issue (in regards to Unbalanced's post). I've also tried to load the game in safe mode but have had no success (though it doesn't force me to reboot). Lastly, I too have updated to the latest drivers for my video card (Catalyst 6.6's with an X800 Pro). Short of pleading our case to GameGuard, what is our next move?
    Last edited by Xenethyl; June 28th, 2006 at 06:15 PM.

Okay, I installed the drivers and still received the BSOD. I uninstalled MapleStory, and am almost finished downloading it. I did have a copy on CD made a few days prior, but I'm worried that something in the patching process may have been the problem, so I'm going to try this first. The new Independance Day hats so are not worth this hassle.

Hi Unbalanced, and Xenethyl, and Welcome to Virtual Dr.

I too think it is upto Nprotect to make the next move here, has anyone reported this as a major bug?

http://eng.nprotect.co.kr/qa.htm

Oh, and slightly off-topic, but Xenethyl you should really have installed XP SP2 by now, i'm not saying it will fix this problem, but it will patch a few others in Windows, either get it from the Windows Update site, or here: http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/xpsp2.html

Liam

I'm going to see what I can do about spreading Unbalanced's information to other Maplers. I've been playing this game for over a year, and I do not believe that the threat is sufficient for me to give it up just yet. As far as Wizet only caring about how much money they rake in, I believe that goes without saying for most online games. Despite being disenheartening, this is very useful information, and I thank you for your post.

I just sent in an email to NProtect (thanks for the link!), although I'm not feeling too optimistic about it right now. Oh, and I have an off-topic question about another MapleStory bug that's irking me.

During gameplay, at seemingly random intervals, MapleStory minimizes itself. It doesn't matter if I'm AFK, fighting a monster, or chatting with a friend. It's very annoying, as it interrupts whatever I'm doing and takes several seconds to load back up. This was never an issue on my previous computer, and I have no idea what could be causing it.

Thanks, Liam! I'm planning an upgrade in a couple months so I have been holding off on installing SP2. I haven't had any problems with SP1 and have both Norton Anti-Virus and Zone Alarm installed, so when SP2 was released (along with the numerous problems people were having with it) I didn't see it as a critical update. I will, however, make sure that it gets installed on my new machine.

Anyways, back on topic. I will also submit the problem to nProtect. The more people that submit our situation to them the better. Furthermore, it might be beneficial if the topic title was renamed slightly, in an effort to place an emphasis on Maple Story and GameGuard. It may help in drawing more people to this thread.
    Last edited by Xenethyl; June 28th, 2006 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks, Liam! I'm planning an upgrade in a couple months so I have been holding off on installing SP2. I haven't had any problems with SP1 and have both Norton Anti-Virus and Zone Alarm installed, so when SP2 was released (along with the numerous problems people were having with it) I didn't see it as a critical update. I will, however, make sure that it gets installed on my new machine.

Anyways, back on topic. It might be beneficial if the topic title was renamed slightly, in an effort to place an emphasis on Maple Story and GameGuard. It may help in drawing more people to this thread.
    You're Welcome.

I'll leave the thread title for the time being, as the thread has 2000+ views, so hopefully one of the viewers may have something to add, it was also created by "Charlotte h" and i don't want to change it without her say so.

I just sent in an email to NProtect (thanks for the link!), although I'm not feeling too optimistic about it right now.
    You're Welcome also.

You may have gotten an auto-reply e-mail to give you a timeframe for a personal reply, depending on how "big" and busy the company is....hopefully they will be aware of this problem, and either have a fix/workaround, or are working on one.

Liam

The tech support for maple story suggests:

1. A virus scan (lol my Anti-Virus notes GG as a threat) followed by:
    2. Uninstalling maple story
    3. Download the lastest version of mssetup.exe
    4. Reinstall Maple Story.

Long and needless I say . They still won't admit gameguard bugged and erratic.

Xen: Was wondering if you are using an anti-virus and firewall? I've noticed that both go nuts whenever maple story starts (since 2 weeks go or roughly 3 gameguard patches ago). I've also read somewhere that you have to put one or two of the gameguard files into the trusted zone if you are using Kaspersky Anti-virus (gameguard.des and something else).

I'm not going to suggest disabling your firewall or anti-virus usless you truely don't care what happens to your machine or you're a glutton for punishment. That might be why you can't seem to patch. BTW the update was this morning to version .25 and gg version is up to 767 (I think)

Also, if you are using a program like process guard, that will stop gameguard from running.

As far as common processes go, the system which runs maple is almost completely stripped. Outside of the minimal default system processes and firewall + ant-virus, I have bluetooth processes and the logitech game profiler process running.

P.S. I just want to add to what grey said in that I'm starting to think maple story just isn't worth the hassel. Especially if this isn't fixed.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by liam858
    Hi Unbalanced, and Xenethyl, and Welcome to Virtual Dr.

I too think it is upto Nprotect to make the next move here, has anyone reported this as a major bug?

http://eng.nprotect.co.kr/qa.htm

Oh, and slightly off-topic, but Xenethyl you should really have installed XP SP2 by now, i'm not saying it will fix this problem, but it will patch a few others in Windows, either get it from the Windows Update site, or here: http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/xpsp2.html

Liam
    Off Topic:
    Thanks Liam! But I have to comment that SP2 is such a big headache compared to SP1 minus the USB problem. LOL .. but I agree, better to upgrade to SP2. And add dump Norton products .. please ..

I'm also surprised how many posts there were when I typed that post above me. Imagine my surprise LOL

In response to your question above, yes I had reported this to nProtect last week and I encourage everyone to send in emails (don't spam/flood them .. tempting as it may be)

I find this absolutely hilarious that all useful information I've found so far were from hacker posts on forums that shall remain nameless. And it's all there for your googling pleasure. Go figure ...
    Last edited by Unbalanced; June 28th, 2006 at 07:15 PM.

Thanks a bunch for your information, Linda, I'll look into Panda. The only problem I may encounter is, unfortunately, parents. (I'm 16, and though I'm going to be at a university this fall, they pretty much still have jurisdiction over my posessions and they advocate Norton. However, they have realized the woes of Mcaffee. Finally.) Also, Unbalanced, that information is really helpful. I guess we'll have to email not only Wizet about the problem (and of course, expect no reply, as this seems to be their policy) as well as the GG company and see if they'll fix anything.

Seeing as it isn't just Norton, though, this just seems like some crazy anti-hacking attempt that certainly is just blown out of proportion. I think if Wizet gets enough emails the problem will eventually be fixed. Maybe.

And Unbalanced, about the latest tech support suggest post, my brother and I both uninstalled the program and run scans, and reinstalled the new client, and are still recieving errors. So I guess I'll email them that.

Ahh, I hope that they resolve this issue or they are going to be losing a lot of players. (Judging by the number of people I have seen experiencing problems inside and out of game. I asked around a bit on the ship to Ossyria, ha, and I got quite a few angry responses all dealing with the dump_wmimmc.sys file.)

I'll keep an eye up here though, for a good solution outside of uninstalling Norton/Maple. The BSODs are annoying but they haven't gotten to the point of complete quitting. Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by liam858
    I'll leave the thread title for the time being, as the thread has 2000+ views, so hopefully one of the viewers may have something to add, it was also created by "Charlotte h" and i don't want to change it without her say so.
    Understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbalanced
    Xen: Was wondering if you are using an anti-virus and firewall? I've noticed that both go nuts whenever maple story starts (since 2 weeks go or roughly 3 gameguard patches ago). I've also read somewhere that you have to put one or two of the gameguard files into the trusted zone if you are using Kaspersky Anti-virus (gameguard.des and something else).

I'm not going to suggest disabling your firewall or anti-virus usless you truely don't care what happens to your machine or you're a glutton for punishment. That might be why you can't seem to patch. BTW the update was this morning to version .25 and gg version is up to 767 (I think)
    I am using both an anti-virus program and a firewall. I have Norton 2006 and Zone Alarm installed. However, my problem isn't that I can't patch, it's that when I try to patch my computer reboots (I'm assuming it's GameGuard's fault, not Maple Story's). I wouldn't be surprised if I downloaded the manual patch from Wizet and was able to install it (which I am going to do now). Unfortunately, I highly doubt it will fix the rebooting problem.

Also, I just received an error message from nProtect saying that my e-mail failed to be delivered because there is no such address. Did anyone else have any luck getting through (Grey)?

EDIT: It seems the manual patch file is not available on their server. Go figure.
    Last edited by Xenethyl; June 28th, 2006 at 07:23 PM.

.. but I agree, better to upgrade to SP2. And add dump Norton products .. please ..
    I'd agree with that too, the drain on system resources from Norton is a disgrace, i think that the freeware AV's are better in ways, and i've used a few of them on VM's, with good results.

Sticking with the topic, i'd also agree that if everyone with the problem e-mailed Nprotect, then they may just do something about it, as mentioned above, they would be losing a lot of players. Am i right in thinking that this game also costs? (monthly?)

Liam

Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 10:31 PM
    To: genuine_grey@hotmail.com
    Subject: failure notice

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at inca.co.kr.
    I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
    This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<jhpark@inca.co.kr>:
    Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.1.1)
    WTF kind of reply is that? Apparently they have a sense of humor there, which I'm not really appreciating at the moment. I've spent nearly the entire day trying to fix this, and still no results. I'm really starting to appreciate the situations of the people who called in to SP2 technical support and yelled at me because Bill Gates broke their computer.

I reinstalled MapleStory, and the same BSOD occurs as soon as I exit the game. I did notice something on the screen that hasn't been adressed before. The screen recommends disabling caching/shadowing on your BIOS. Could this possibly help, and how would I go about doing it?

And Liam, the game has no monthly fee. You have the option of paying real money to customize your character and take advantage of special features in the game, but it's otherwise completely free.

And Liam, the game has no monthly fee. You have the option of paying real money to customize your character and take advantage of special features in the game, but it's otherwise completely free.
    Oh, i see, i asked because i saw a mention of it on the official site, i checked the FAW there, but it wasn't of much use, i don't know if contacting them directly will have a better effect, it requires a log-in, which i'm assuming you guys are already registered for. Link: http://www.mapleglobal.com/

Liam

Quote Originally Posted by Grey
    WTF kind of reply is that? Apparently they have a sense of humor there, which I'm not really appreciating at the moment. I've spent nearly the entire day trying to fix this, and still no results. I'm really starting to appreciate the situations of the people who called in to SP2 technical support and yelled at me because Bill Gates broke their computer.

I reinstalled MapleStory, and the same BSOD occurs as soon as I exit the game. I did notice something on the screen that hasn't been adressed before. The screen recommends disabling caching/shadowing on your BIOS. Could this possibly help, and how would I go about doing it?
    I received the exact same message, Grey. Some support line they have running there.

I find this absolutely hilarious that all useful information I've found so far were from hacker posts on forums that shall remain nameless. And it's all there for your googling pleasure. Go figure ...
    I found the same thing, Unbalanced. The most relevant information regarding our problem that I was able to find was on Maple Story hacking sites. Unfortunately, I'm sure they were eventually able to get around the problem. Nice guys (and girls) finish last, eh?

Seeing as it isn't just Norton, though, this just seems like some crazy anti-hacking attempt that certainly is just blown out of proportion. I think if Wizet gets enough emails the problem will eventually be fixed. Maybe.

And Unbalanced, about the latest tech support suggest post, my brother and I both uninstalled the program and run scans, and reinstalled the new client, and are still recieving errors. So I guess I'll email them that.
    I don't know if it's blown out of proportion, but the results are certainly less than desirable. After all, a company has to protect it's assets. That being said, I don't think its fun when they hose their own clients to do so.

I also think that's the default answer to just about every product out there hehehe. But it's always good to try before your heart stops unnecessarily.

I am curious as to what kind of responses you received about the dump_wmimmc.sys file. I never had a chance to take it apart. Nor do I really want to. I'm also not going to champion hacking anything as that would violate your EULA with wiznet. Plus what the heck is the point of hacking a game? It just defeats all intense purposes... ok unless you're profiting from it in real currency (something I am very much against as a designer)

I am using both an anti-virus program and a firewall. I have Norton 2006 and Zone Alarm installed. However, my problem isn't that I can't patch, it's that when I try to patch my computer reboots (I'm assuming it's GameGuard's fault, not Maple Story's). I wouldn't be surprised if I downloaded the manual patch from Wizet and was able to install it (which I am going to do now). Unfortunately, I highly doubt it will fix the rebooting problem.
    So this is happening after a cold boot? Outside of disabling your firewall and trying to patch, the only thing I can think of is to try to install from a clean and current setup file. But as hudster has found out, that still doesn't solve the dump.

WTF kind of reply is that? Apparently they have a sense of humor there, which I'm not really appreciating at the moment.
    LOL that's what I meant by emailing them to see what I meant .. you might want to try mapleglobal's support contact. I can't get through to them either as I don't run IE .. yet another headache.

I don't suggest screwing around with your BIOS unless you are prepared. I understand the stress you're going through, but you don't want to make matters worse. Just hang in there.

Edit:

Ok this is a flurry of responses LOL I can't keep up.

Unfortunately, I'm sure they were eventually able to get around the problem. Nice guys (and girls) finish last, eh?
    Well I don't know about that, but we sure do get stepped on a lot! Hehe Sorry, I'm just trying to lighten the mood. But with regards to the hackers. They don't circumvent GG by disabling it as far as I know. What they do is hide the hacks from GG .. so it functions as normal. I believe Maple servers challenge the authentication so even if you were to disable GG locally, you'd still have to contend with the server authentication. Hmm I suppose that could be circumvented as well now that I think about it ... oops! Wandering mind!

If it's any help at all, I may have skipped over a previous picture but here is one that I have taken. (The only one I've seen has been in Dutch. xD)

here

Also, Explorer sent out an error report and came back with a "solution" for me. It suggested updating video card driver. (Which I tried, but seeing as this computer is a little over a week old, there were no updates.) After this option being scrapped, I went and updated my DirectX on the off chance that that may have been part of the problem. Still not working like it should, though.

-Anya

[Edit]: It seems that Photobucket resized the image so I'm attempting to fix that.
    Last edited by hudster; June 28th, 2006 at 08:03 PM.

after updating my drivers to the newest version, 91.xx, i'm still experiencing the BSOD.
    while many here get it when they close maple story, i get it when i close gunbound, which also utilizes the nprotect garbage.

Also, Explorer sent out an error report and came back with a "solution" for me. It suggested updating video card driver. (Which I tried, but seeing as this computer is a little over a week old, there were no updates.) After this option being scrapped, I went and updated my DirectX on the off chance that that may have been part of the problem. Still not working like it should, though.
    That sound like a typical response, although that BSOD is driver related, it is hard to pinpoint, and without checking MapleStory's minimum specs, i would of though DX9.0c was a must anyway...

Liam

Quote Originally Posted by kwongnewman
    after updating my drivers to the newest version, 91.xx, i'm still experiencing the BSOD.
    while many here get it when they close maple story, i get it when i close gunbound, which also utilizes the nprotect garbage.
    That is actually good to know, kwongnewman. The fact that other games using GameGuard are producing the same problem solidifies our argument that it is nProtect's fault. Unfortunately, we have no way of contacting them because of their stellar question and answer service.

Hi guys. I'm also a maple story fan and have been playing it for quite some time. I think after one of the patches I started seeing the same BSODs that everyone have been seeing and so I've tried googling for the solution using "dump_wmimmc.sys" and so far this topic has been the most helpful out of 3 sites that google shows up with for this issue. I've been reading up on this topic for a while and have tried several things:

Uninstalled and reinstalled maple story.
    Uninstalling Norton AV - (This changed the time i get the BSOD after trying to log in to the time i exit maple story).
    Reinstalled my video driver (I have a ATI Radeon 9000).

One problem I have though is that when I try to install Catalyst 6.6 for my Radeon 9000 an error pops up saying I need to install a video card first. I looked up information about Catalyst 6.6 and figured there's an incompatability issue with the driver and card. So, I waved the problem off.

After reading several new posts, I've come up with several new ideas.
    I have another computer that does not support a graphics card and has only an integrated graphics controlller installed on it. With only that, My brother and I have played maple story for about a year on this computer and I've never seen a problem with it. My laptop which has the Radeon 9000 on it has been the only one with the problems, so I figured from all this that either the video card and/or driver is the problem or the temporary file dump_wmimmc.sys is the only source of the problem and Windows sees the file as a threat to the system and hence the BSOD.

So far I've figured that the only solution is to disable gameguard completely, which is probably what Xenethyl found at those maple story hacking sites.
    Other than this we could get together and spam Inca to solve this problem.

.... a previous picture but here is one that I have taken.
    Wow .. I've never seen that as clear .. LOL my monitor doesn't support 640x480 resolution so the image "bends" over itself. But liam is right. Those exception messages are way too vague to tell you what exactly is going on.

Xen, Kwong: those Nvidia 91 drivers came out last week and actually caused a refresh problem with my (I'll dub) Maple Machine. So I reverted back to the 84 version released back in March. not saying everyone will have those problems, but it's a good idea folks to create restore points

I still haven't figured out why my alternate Maple machine is not experiencing problems at all. BTW, there's one big difference I've noticed between all the test machines I've used. When you log off and that ad banner pops up (don't ask non-maplers lol it's just something we ignore) my affected machine doesn't show the ad at all. So the only way to close the ad.exe is to alt-f4 or kill the process via taskmgr or other process killing tools. Just wondering if anyone else is having that problem as well?

Quote Originally Posted by S Dash
    Hi guys. I'm also a maple story fan and have been playing it for quite some time. I think after one of the patches I started seeing the same BSODs that everyone have been seeing and so I've tried googling for the solution using "dump_wmimmc.sys" and so far this topic has been the most helpful out of 3 sites that google shows up with for this issue. I've been reading up on this topic for a while and have tried several things:

Uninstalled and reinstalled maple story.
    Uninstalling Norton AV - (This changed the time i get the BSOD after trying to log in to the time i exit maple story).
    Reinstalled my video driver (I have a ATI Radeon 9000).

One problem I have though is that when I try to install Catalyst 6.6 for my Radeon 9000 an error pops up saying I need to install a video card first. I looked up information about Catalyst 6.6 and figured there's an incompatability issue with the driver and card. So, I waved the problem off.

After reading several new posts, I've come up with several new ideas.
    I have another computer that does not support a graphics card and has only an integrated graphics controlller installed on it. With only that, My brother and I have played maple story for about a year on this computer and I've never seen a problem with it. My laptop which has the Radeon 9000 on it has been the only one with the problems, so I figured from all this that either the video card and/or driver is the problem or the temporary file dump_wmimmc.sys is the only source of the problem and Windows sees the file as a threat to the system and hence the BSOD.

So far I've figured that the only solution is to disable gameguard completely, which is probably what Xenethyl found at those maple story hacking sites.
    Other than this we could get together and spam Inca to solve this problem.
    Interesting information, Dash. As far as updating your graphics card's drivers, you need to make sure that you uninstall your old drivers completely before installing the newer ones. Furthermore, laptops often require manufacturer-speficic drivers in order to function properly (for instance, Dell laptops generally require Dell-packaged drivers).

So far I don't really think it is a video card driver problem, as we have identified the problem on machines running both ATI and Nvidia cards. It's possible, but I am willing to lean more towards GameGuard having some faulty lines of code and automatically "discovering" a hack on all of our computers. In any case, we have identified the file in question, now I think we need some information from nProtect.

Also, as far as hacking Maple Story goes. According to the forums I was looking at, hackers set up a server on their machine and run an instance of GameGuard on it, which allows them to run hacking programs without being caught. In any case, it's quite sad that people who hack have an easier time playing the game than clean players do.

Xen, Kwong: those Nvidia 91 drivers came out last week and actually caused a refresh problem with my (I'll dub) Maple Machine. So I reverted back to the 84 version released back in March. not saying everyone will have those problems, but it's a good idea folks to create restore points
    I'm using the 6.6 Catalyst drivers. As such, I think we can eliminate video cards and their drivers from this issue. In any case, thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by Xenethyl; June 28th, 2006 at 08:30 PM.

According to the forums I was looking at, hackers set up a server on their machine and run an instance of GameGuard on it
    I think GG circumvented that recently. I could be mistaken though. The only reason I say this is because GG thinks my game profiler is a hack attempt (if they actually added gamepad/joystick support ppl wouldn't actually be using these programs). But I've blocked what GG could do to my system. In response, maple disconnected me. I've tried this multiple times and it seems it does it at 10 minutes if authentication fails.

Oh and I know no one has actually mentioned this, but if you are using a 3rd party program to use a controller like a game pad etc, I've heard that GG ignores the process if its parent is JoyToKey.exe or a reasonable facsimile xD (read: rename your controller program to JoyToKey.exe or just use JoyToKey) .. when this will change? I don't know .. but I have a feeling that program might be hosed soon too.

it's quite sad that people who hack have an easier time playing the game than clean players do.
    I think they just have more fun hacking more than playing. Some, the god-complex cuz no one else can be l33t h4x0rs. The rest? Making a lot of real money... xP

Ugh, don't get me started on the hackers. There are waaay too many on the new server, which is the one I'm playing right now. About the ad; I've also recently had that problem. At first it would just show up as a blank grey box which usually closed by itself after a few minutes (at this time the blue screen was not occurring), but now it doesn't show up at all.

Also wondering if these crashes are harmful to my computer hardware in the long run? I can still play the game (I think), it's just after I quit that the BSOD occurs.

All,

Sony exhibited the same behavior when their paying customers played specific music CDs on their computers, which planted a rootkit. Here is the Sony rootkit URL, if anyone is interested.

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...t=Sony+rootkit

In the end, the only thing that made Sony eventually fess up was getting the online media involved. When Charlotte created this thread, I did a Google search for Maple Story Problems and got 5 million plus links. The next day, I did the same identical search and got a million more links.

Again, this is exactly what happened with the Sony rootkit. Eventually, the Google searches produced over 15 million links.

Start posting about this problem on every high-tech website, email technology journalists, zdnet, etc. Get as much media involved as possible. In the case of Sony, people got so frustrated that they started boycotting all Sony products. Hitting irresponsible and unresponsive vendors in the pocketbook is the only way to get their attention.

When you post this issue or send emails, include a link to this thread.

Cheers,

Linda
    Last edited by LindaHewitt; June 28th, 2006 at 10:40 PM.

Okay, after being linked to this board by a good friend of mine it seems I am not the only one having this problem - definitely not the only one. A couple days ago, I as well began getting several BSOD's. At first they ONLY happened when I shut down after playing Maplestory, but now ever since the new game patch that came out the day this was posted my computer seems to have become even more unstable, since the BSOD's now happen more often. I cannot stay connected the game for more than 30 seconds, and then it boots me out and closes the game, I get a BSOD. I do not know what's causing the problem, but from reading some posts it's probably Norton since I have that on my computer and know for a fact it causes more problems than it does solve them.

Basically, I'm getting the same error as the person who first created this post, and since hte patch I am getting the same error, but with different hexes at the bottom, which I think means it's just a different error. You can tell I'm defintely not computer savvy. ._.

But anywaysh, I again do not know what's causing the problem, nor how to fix it. I do hope someone comes up with a nifty solution though that doesn't involve quitting Maplestory entirely or doing an f-disk or something.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
    I am getting the same problem! Everytime I close MapleStory or minimize it to do something, its not long before that STUPID BLUE SCREEN stops everything I'm doing!!
    Help!! I work for mesorich.com and I need MapleStory to do my job! Im doomed, someone please find a solution! anyone contact nguard or wizet?

Quote Originally Posted by lacosteboy
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
    I am getting the same problem! Everytime I close MapleStory or minimize it to do something, its not long before that STUPID BLUE SCREEN stops everything I'm doing!!
    Help!! I work for mesorich.com and I need MapleStory to do my job! Im doomed, someone please find a solution! anyone contact nguard or wizet?
    We're really not the people to talk to if you're looking for a sympathetic audience.

I have discovered a work-around for my situation, however. I play MapleStory, and minimize it until I'm done doing other things on the computer. Then I simply shut down without closing MapleStory.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaHewitt
    All,

Sony exhibited the same behavior when their paying customers played specific music CDs on their computers, which planted a rootkit. Here is the Sony rootkit URL, if anyone is interested.

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...t=Sony+rootkit

In the end, the only thing that made Sony eventually fess up was getting the online media involved. When Charlotte created this thread, I did a Google search for Maple Story Problems and got 5 million plus links. The next day, I did the same identical search and got a million more links.

Again, this is exactly what happened with the Sony rootkit. Eventually, the Google searches produced over 15 million links.

Start posting about this problem on every high-tech website, email technology journalists, zdnet, etc. Get as much media involved as possible. In the case of Sony, people got so frustrated that they started boycotting all Sony products. Hitting irresponsible and unresponsive vendors in the pocketbook is the only way to get their attention.

When you post this issue or send emails, include a link to this thread.

Cheers,

Linda
    I agree with what she is saying and suggesting entirely. Having played Maplestory for awhile now I get frustrated myself with Wizet's lack of support to their players. There are far too many hackers and other rule breakers running around compared to their other versions of the game, like Japanese Maplestory, Korean Maplestory, MapleSEA, etc etc, and it is definitely about time that this changes and Wizet starts putting a bit more effort into maintaining the game, not only against rule breakers with no intention of playing the game correctly, but preventing wide scale computer problems like this one.
    Last edited by Akio; June 28th, 2006 at 10:52 PM.

Sony exhibited the same behavior when their paying customers played specific music CDs on their computers, which planted a rootkit.
    A good reason to boycott Sony products. They aren't going to listen until people stop buying their products. I don't think using a rootkit doesn't makes it bad, I used to be a sys admin and there were a few times rootkits came in handy. Hehehe but more directly to your point, its what you do with it that matters. In Sony's case, it was just a lot of bad mojo going on. Reporting it to mainstream media might get attention, but as with the case of mainstream media, they always seem to chuck up the information. Hearing the term rootkit might ring off bells, but I think the general public should be more concerned about what its being used for specifically. But I digress.

In response to Grey I don't think you should be too worried unless you were in the middle of flashing firmware or writing and essay or something. It's just like how some people think that formatting your system over and over is a bad thing. Which I suppose it is. Just like defragging your system could be potentially harmful to your hard drives. The point is, hardware is generally made to withstand the rigors of regular use; crashes and all. Hehe again, I think many people have different opinions and depending on your beliefs, it could be construed as bad. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Akio: Are you running XP? Also are you seeing the ad when you quit?
    I think you are experiencing 2 different problems which seem like one.

I just had it tested on Win2K running SP4 with the new patches and nothing went wrong.

Edit:
    Grey: .. that's what I did for the last few weeks. Now my maple machine is only for mapling. So maple can screw that machine up for all I care.
    Last edited by Unbalanced; June 28th, 2006 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey
    We're really not the people to talk to if you're looking for a sympathetic audience.

I have discovered a work-around for my situation, however. I play MapleStory, and minimize it until I'm done doing other things on the computer. Then I simply shut down without closing MapleStory.
    Ooh, that sounds like good solution to me. =o! I should so try that since I also get the same error when I close Maplestory.

I remember reading a solution in this thread about going to their Bios on their computer and changing the memory from caching to sync.

Has anyone tried that for the new patch?
    And is there an alternate way on computers without that Bios option?
    Mine shows that I can't change it, but I think there's another way to do it.

Thread Information