Recover internet history and recovery programs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recover internet history and recovery programs

Unhappy Recover internet history and recovery programs

Hey everyone,

I really need ur help. It's VERY IMPORTANT!!! I need to recover the internet history on my older Windows 98 computer. Quite some time back, I had deleted the internet history(by opening up internet explorer and going to the internet's history section in the left hand corner and deleting most of the dates) to make room. Now I realize that was a very stupid mistake becuz I needed lots of the stuff there! Since everything u have ever looked at is on there, wether it's website addresses, files, pics, documents, etc., I need most of that stuff! I have viewed lots of things I needed on there! It is URGENT and EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that I get this stuff back!!!!! Could it possibly be in the recycle bin? Do u think those recovery programs like 'Search And Recover' could work? PLEASE PLEEEEAASSSEEE HELP!!!!!
    Last edited by unique; September 12th, 2005 at 05:17 PM.

unique--
    Could it possibly be in the recycle bin?
    Did you look in the Recycle Bin?
    Quite some time back-
    I suspect the chances of recovering anything are very low. When you delete files, the data is still on the hard drive, but windows thinks the space is now available to be used for writing some new data. The longer you use the PC the more likely the space will be overwritten.
    However, you can always try to "Undelete" . Download this program to a floppy and run from the floppy.
    http://www.webattack.com/get/restoration.html
    If no luck, there are professional services that might be able to recover the files, but they charge big time--several hundreds of dollars.
    P.S. Much of what you describe
    website addresses, files, pics, documents, etc
    may or not be "History", but rather My Documents, My Pictures, Favorites, etc. but that really does not change my comments, only what you might look for.
    Last edited by Welshjim; September 12th, 2005 at 07:16 PM.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

No I haven't looked in the recycle bin yet, but I'll try.

Oh nooooo, it cannot be overwritten!!!! It just can't be. I need this stuff sooooo bad. I'm really worried. Ok I'll try that program, thanks alot for that link.

Whoa, hundreds of dollars! That is expensive!!!!

Oh u mean maybe I thought that some of the pics, etc. I saw in the history weren't stuff I viewed on the web, but stuff already stored on my comp? But I coulda swore someone said that pics, etc. that u view on the web will be stored there also. That almost everything will.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshjim
    unique--
    Did you look in the Recycle Bin?

I suspect the chances of recovering anything are very low. When you delete files, the data is still on the hard drive, but windows thinks the space is now available to be used for writing some new data. The longer you use the PC the more likely the space will be overwritten.
    However, you can always try to "Undelete" . Download this program to a floppy and run from the floppy.
    http://www.webattack.com/get/restoration.html
    If no luck, there are professional services that might be able to recover the files, but they charge big time--several hundreds of dollars.
    P.S. Much of what you describe may or not be "History", but rather My Documents, My Pictures, Favorites, etc. but that really does not change my comments, only what you might look for.

Internet history is a record of all the websites you've visited. Just the addresses are stored, no pics or data from those sites. Temporary Internet Files, a different item/folder stores all the other data. Both are deletable in the way you describe. If you have emptied either cache then chances of getting it back is extremely low because they never go to the delete bin but are automatically and immediately purged and subject to be overwritten asap.

One thing that might help a little if the undelete program doesn't get back any of the data (and I suspect it won't get a lot back) you could use this little free program to open the index.dat file in the Temp internet file folder to get a record of all the websites you've visited ... not any data at all from the sites, just the addresses.

http://www.acesoft.net/index.dat%20v...dat_viewer.htm

To clarify see the pic attached...

1 is Temporary internet files which are the pics and all the data from the websites you visit but no adresses.

2 is history which is a list of all the addresses but no data.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Ok thanks alot. I will try that link.

Quote Originally Posted by fink
    Internet history is a record of all the websites you've visited. Just the addresses are stored, no pics or data from those sites. Temporary Internet Files, a different item/folder stores all the other data. Both are deletable in the way you describe. If you have emptied either cache then chances of getting it back is extremely low because they never go to the delete bin but are automatically and immediately purged and subject to be overwritten asap.

One thing that might help a little if the undelete program doesn't get back any of the data (and I suspect it won't get a lot back) you could use this little free program to open the index.dat file in the Temp internet file folder to get a record of all the websites you've visited ... not any data at all from the sites, just the addresses.

http://www.acesoft.net/index.dat%20v...dat_viewer.htm

To clarify see the pic attached...

1 is Temporary internet files which are the pics and all the data from the websites you visit but no adresses.

2 is history which is a list of all the addresses but no data.

To Welshjim:
    Ok I just tried that 'Restoration' program, but I have a question. I opened the program
    and then pressed 'Search Deleted Files' and it gave me the list of my
    files. And then I pressed 'Search Deleted Files' again, and it said
    'Deleting listed items, it may take a long time if there is many items.
    Please wait.' I hope I don't sound dumb lol, but does that mean it deleted the files from my computer??? I
    surely hope not, because I really needed those files! Or does it just
    mean that it was deleting the items from the list of the program? Please
    help!!! I'm not familiar with this program yet.

No it just deleted the names from the programs window. One other thing that may help is that, as the program will suggest, it's better to restore the found files to another partition or drive... that prevents the file from overwriting any other files that may be found while using the program. If you don't have another partition etc then a floppy would work but it would make the whole process much slower and it's going to be slow as it is since you can only save one file at a time. Very very laborious work.

Also, test out a few files before you spend a lot of time at it and make sure they're viewable. Often they are saved but corrupted so they can't open properly.

You may also want to look at this free program..

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

it recovers files as well (only the types listed but that could be enough for your needs). I *think* it will recover more than one file at a time which would save much work for you... perhaps someone else could confirm that.

unique-- I see that fink has answered your question about Restoration. Hope you are having some success, even if slow.
    PC Inspector's File Recovery seems a more versatile and powerful program, but the reason I suggested Restoration is that you can download it to a floppy (and run it from there) avoiding more writing to the hard drive. Unless you have a separate hard drive, you will have to download File Recovery (size almost 6MB) to the same hard drive from which you are trying to recover file and, in the process, risk the possibility of further overwriting of those files you are hoping to recover.
    But see the next few sentences first.
    Oh u mean maybe I thought that some of the pics, etc. I saw in the history weren't stuff I viewed on the web, but stuff already stored on my comp? But I coulda swore someone said that pics, etc. that u view on the web will be stored there also. That almost everything will.
    Fink has also addressed much of that. If the stuff you want came from the Web, then you do not need to Restore/Undelete anything, unless you have forgotten the names of the sites (and fink's suggestion of index.dat viewer might fix that) or cannot find them by searching for the items using a search engine, like www.google.com. You can just go back to the web and see/download the data/images again.
    Maybe you should try that before trying to Undelete too much.
    fink--index.dat viewer looks like a very useful program. Thanks.
    Unfortunately, I frequently clean out my index.dat files at the same time I clean out the rest of Temporary Internet Files (using System Security Suite http://www.igorshpak.net/), since index.dat files, of course, otherwise have a tendency to grow and grow even when the rest of TIF is deleted. But I see that History files are even larger, so maybe it is better to delete them and keep index.dat.
    Jim

No it just deleted the names from the programs window.
    Oh ok, whew!

One other thing that may help is that, as the program will suggest, it's better to restore the found files to another partition or drive... that prevents the file from overwriting any other files that may be found while using the program. If you don't have another partition etc then a floppy would work but it would make the whole process much slower and it's going to be slow as it is since you can only save one file at a time. Very very laborious work.
    Yea, on that computer I don't have any other partition or drive . Yea, when I tried it, it was going very very slow. It is A LOT of work.

Also, test out a few files before you spend a lot of time at it and make sure they're viewable. Often they are saved but corrupted so they can't open properly.
    Yea, when I tried viewing some of the files, they weren't viewable. It said there was no preview available or something. I couldn't believe it.

You may also want to look at this free program..

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

it recovers files as well (only the types listed but that could be enough for your needs). I *think* it will recover more than one file at a time which would save much work for you... perhaps someone else could confirm that.
    Thanks alot for that other link, that would save a whole lotta work if it could recover more than one file at a time.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Welshjim
    unique-- I see that fink has answered your question about Restoration. Hope you are having some success, even if slow.
    Well, so far I haven't really had success. I haven't found what I'm looking for, and for lots of the stuff that it did find, I couldn't view it.

PC Inspector's File Recovery seems a more versatile and powerful program, but the reason I suggested Restoration is that you can download it to a floppy (and run it from there) avoiding more writing to the hard drive.
    Yea, I don't have another partition or hard drive on that comp, so I had to use a floppy. That's a very important factor in this problem, and many other people have the same problem. Thanks for recommending that to me.

Unless you have a separate hard drive, you will have to download File Recovery (size almost 6MB) to the same hard drive from which you are trying to recover file and, in the process, risk the possibility of further overwriting of those files you are hoping to recover.
    But see the next few sentences first.
    I dont' have a separate hard drive on that comp, but I can use this computer to download the program.

Fink has also addressed much of that. If the stuff you want came from the Web, then you do not need to Restore/Undelete anything, unless you have forgotten the names of the sites (and fink's suggestion of index.dat viewer might fix that) or cannot find them by searching for the items using a search engine, like www.google.com. You can just go back to the web and see/download the data/images again.
    Lots of the stuff that I'm looking for came from the web. One of the big problems is, lots of the stuff I'm looking for, were pics in my web-based email, and my email is already deleted so I can't go back to my email and get the stuff. And yea, lots of the stuff came from sites that I cannot remember the name of. That index.dat viewer looks like it might help for some of the stuff. And another big problem is that, some of the stuff came from websites that had changed or been updated since that time. Or some aren't even there anymore! Why can't things stay the same for a good period of time, anymore? It seems like everything nowadays changes way to fast.

Maybe you should try that before trying to Undelete too much. fink--index.dat viewer looks like a very useful program. Thanks.
    Unfortunately, I frequently clean out my index.dat files at the same time I clean out the rest of Temporary Internet Files (using System Security Suite http://www.igorshpak.net/), since index.dat files, of course, otherwise have a tendency to grow and grow even when the rest of TIF is deleted. But I see that History files are even larger, so maybe it is better to delete them and keep index.dat.
    Yea, it might help for some of the stuff I'm looking for. Thanks alot both of u guys for your help so far.

Which email program do you use? You may be able to get to the deleted files depending on which one.

unique--Look in OE Tools|Accounts|highlight your account|Properties|Advanced. How many days did you tell your email provider's server to keep the mail? If any length of time, go to the webpage and get the emails from the provider's server (unless you checked "Remove from server when deleted").
    Jim

Well I use many different email providers, they are all web based. The one that I'm trying to get my emails back from is a service called CollegeClub.com. I know it wasn't a good idea to have all ur main emails sent to a web based email like that, but at the time, they gave u more space.

Which email program do you use? You may be able to get to the deleted files depending on which one.

It was from a service called CollegeClub.com

Right, so you used your browser for web based email providers. In that case unless they stored the deleted emails locally, on their own servers, which they usually do, then that's the only way you're going to be able to retrieve them. They won't have been stored anywhere on your computer unless you specifically downloaded each one individually and copied them into some sort of permanent text or document file and stored it yourself.

But in any case I don't understand why you can't log in to the service... the emails should still be there unless you deleted them. when you use those kinds of email services it may look like they're stored on your own computer but they're actually being stored on the webmail providers own servers so deleting your history or temp internet files would not delete the emails.

Thread Information