Windows XP SP2 can't access resources over the network

Thread: Windows XP SP2 can't access resources over the network

Windows XP SP2 can't access resources over the network

I need your assistance and advice on a problem, which I have faced for a while now and haven’t been able to find a solution for this problem.

This is the situation at a client site.
    1. They are running windows2003 small business server
    2. They have windows xp sp2 on all the computers

There are some printers which are shared on the client computers but when you try and connect to the computer over the network, you are not allowed to access to the computer. I disable the firewall, it hasn’t worked. I enable the guest account, it hasn’t worked. All the computers are logging on the domain.

This is another similar situation at another client site.
    1. Windows xp sp2 on all the computers
    2. They are in a workgroup (peer to peer network)

There is a desktop pc and a laptop pc. The laptop can access the desktop but vice versa is not possible. You are not allowed to access to the computer. I disable the firewall, it hasn’t worked. I enable the guest account, it hasn’t worked.

Can you please try and help me out.

Cheers,

Miyagi

When the printers were shared, did you give the 'Everyone' group 'Print' permission?

Miyagi,

You should have started a new thread to seperate each problem because this could get very confusing even though they maybe having similar situations. They are not the same. There are two different problems here but I will help you with your other client site which are in a workgroup environment.

Are we talking Windows XP Home or XP Pro?
    Eric

the os is windows xp pro sp2

tropicalbound, yes everyone group has print permission

Are you running XP Pro with simple file sharing or disabled? With Simple File Sharing disabled, any computer you should create a username and password account that is identical to the other computer.

If simple file sharing is enabled, the Guest account needs to be enabled. All network logons are requested through that account. Click Start, Run, and type cmd. Then type "net user guest /active:yes" in the command prompt window.

Do you have a third party firewall such as Norton Internet Security, ZoneAlarm, or Sygate? If so, then keep in mind that sometimes disabling doesn't always work. Uninstall all firewall software while troubleshooting.

If you are still having problems, then provide the full text of the error message and post it into your next post.
    Eric

Thread Information