Format HD: codes zc,xv /.M

Thread: Format HD: codes zc,xv /.M

Format HD: codes zc,xv /.M

Acer Laptop P4, 2.4. Stopped booting up so installed new 40G HD. Using Boot cd-rom (no floppy) when I get to the a: prompt and try to type ANYTHING it responds with zc,xv /.M Then the keyboard is frozen and I can't type or erase anything and just turn off the computer. I installed new memory and that didn't make any difference.

When I get the Acer screen, if I try to enter setup (F2) or boot from CD-Rom (C) after I touch the key, the computer shuts itself off.

In March 04 Acer replaced the mainframe and mainboard (their words) after the computer 'shorted' out and didn't even come on.
    It has been fine until the warranty ran out!

NEED HELP! I hate to make more landfill and need this laptop. Thanks for any ideas.

I'm betting that whatever fried your last mainboard has done the same to the new one. You might see if Acer's waranty support will cover a repair from March. Good luck.

ACER support

You are probably right! I contacted ACER and they agreed to give me a 'free' repair. They did state that I wouldn't get any more chances at 'free' repair, so guess the lesson is I should have bought the warranty extension.

I did buy a new HD and memory before I called them and neither fixed the problem. Thanks for your input.

Thread Information