[RESOLVED] BIOS-level password no longer works, could use some advice

Thread: [RESOLVED] BIOS-level password no longer works, could use some advice

Resolved [RESOLVED] BIOS-level password no longer works, could use some advice

Hey you all, I guess it's been a while since I logged in last. Happy New Year to you all.

I may be in a peck of trouble and need some ideas. I last logged onto my office desktop Friday Jan. 6 and everything was fine then. I have a user-account password on one of three Win7 installs, and a base-level password (same password as the OS) at the BIOS level. It's so low-level that the initial bootup doesn't even complete before one receives the password prompt. Boot order is DVD drive, then FDD (yes, I still have one) then the first of four hard drives. One doesn't even get to the boot menu until entering the password. Even trying to access the BIOS after the POST, the password prompt appears over the BIOS menu and one can not proceed without it. Motherboard is an Abit KN9-S; BIOS is Phoenix Award, rev. B-01.

Today I attempted to log on, and received the response Invalid Password, press any key to continue. I did not change the password. No one else knows the proper password besides me, and as it's needed to get into the BIOS no one else could have gained access to change the password - and I certainly didn't do so.

I tried using my GRUB and GAG boot floppies on the off chance that one of the Linux installs I have (RedHat and Debian) might somehow bypass the BIOS password, but no go.

Could this merely be a matter of the CMOS battery crapping out on me? If so, what are my chances of having the computer usable again after replacing it? Ideas, anyone?

That is not good, especially since ABit is no longer in business. However, you should be able to get the problem fixed. Unfortunately, the VirtualDr Acceptable Use Policy does not allow us to discuss methods for bypassing or resetting passwords.

Battery cheaper than a new mobo.

I am surprised that the ABit motherboard is still functioning, since the bad capacitor issue helped kill ABit.

A new battery would allow a new password to be saved, but I don't think it would do anything to correct the "Invalid Password" message.

If it does not work, he has A replacement for the other old mobos.

Don't have any more to add besides maybe new battery is worth a try but just saying HI! hope all's well .
    (take your time replacing the battery to let residual power deplete)

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    I am surprised that the ABit motherboard is still functioning, since the bad capacitor issue helped kill ABit.
    That problem had been corrected several years before my motherboard hit the market - one of Abit's last and best. They sucked it up and replaced thousands of boards by 2005, but got past that catastrophe.

I already had the side cover of the computer off, the caps are all good. I rather suspect the CMOS battery, as it was dropping correct day/time before this...but I wasn't sure if that could muck up the password at the base level.

UPDATE - I got it going again, with my fingers crossed and my tongue in just the right position. I'll just say that replacing the CMOS battery didn't hurt. I consider myself VERY lucky that the computer wasn't bricked. I have a total of eight operating system partitions on this (been my work computer for years, going back to Win98SE and Win2K) and didn't look forward to replacing all of that. All my tax records, photos and other files could be recovered by slaving the HDDs (thank God I quit RAID-0 years ago!)...but it's like getting rid of an old easy chair. You just don't wanna DO it!

Good to hear from you guys again.

Replacing the battery probably cleaned up the contacts a bit which most likely helped.
    Might want to go on a Battery replacement spree. Get to the others before they get to you!!

Good seeing you again.

Thanks, Jim (that's right, innit? - been a while!) and good to see you, and Mark and jdc as well. Hope this place still is as active as it was when I was. Does Crunchie (C.R.) from Mandurah still check in, or Broni?

Crunchie has not been around in some time but Broni still looks after the intensive care forum.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Now that people can not shoot them themselves in the foot, so to speak , messing around with the OS, it has calmed down a lot.

Doesn't really surprise me. Crunchie and I were quite friendly (we worked as a team constantly, and he took me under his wing and taught me a LOT), and I was bounced from modhood because I told Maxximilian where to go when he insulted Crunchie's debugging abilities. This forum lost two good people, when that mallethead insulted C. and I stuck up for him.

Enough said. Good to see you all.

Thread Information