word 2007 weirdness

Thread: word 2007 weirdness

word 2007 weirdness

I'm using Word 2007, and all of a sudden, CTRL-U no longer works to underline my text. All OTHER font attributes are working fine, and I can still go into the Arial font menu itself, and change the underline to a solid line (which DOES work to underline the highlighted text), but the "underline" attribute on the ribbon menu itself is greyed out. I'm sure I must have done something, but I don't know where to correct it. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Can you underline text in a new document?

No, this happens (now) regardless of the template, beginning document, or otherwise. It's a simple inconvenience since I can manage to create underlined text from another methodology, but I just can't fathom why it's disabled on the expected ribbon menu...

Seek out and destroy the default Word Template called Normal.dot (maybe it's called normal.dotm)

It will get recreated the next time you start Word.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Seek out and destroy the default Word Template called Normal.dot (maybe it's called normal.dotm)

It will get recreated the next time you start Word.
    Well...

I have a number of "templates" that are used for this purpose, and ALL of them show up on the list when I "search" for "normal.dot", but I can't find a stand-alone file just named "normal.dot" anywhere on the system. What should I make of that? Is it a hidden file, or exactly how can I find and destroy that template alone? I still think it MUST be responsible as ALL of the "templates" I'm referring to do the same thing (greyed-out underline attribute on the menu), and all of them started exhibiting this behavior at the same time (at least I NOTICED that behavior all at the same time)... Am I going to have to destroy and recreate ALL of those templates? That will be a major problem for me. Thanks for the advice so far.

Well... I found and renamed "normal.dotm", but it didn't resolve my problem. This is Word 2007 btw, if that makes any difference...

Everything still works as expected, except the "underline' attribute on my top ribbon menu is greyed-out on the word menu itself.

I'm just baffled.

Did Normal.dotm get recreated all by itself?

Normal.dot should be located here:
    C:\Documents and settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thread Information