RECTANGULAR GRAY VOLUME ICON WON'T GO AWAY, SITS ON TOP OF ALL TEXT ETC. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RECTANGULAR GRAY VOLUME ICON WON'T GO AWAY, SITS ON TOP OF ALL TEXT ETC.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    According to the specs I found, assuming that they are correct, that monitor does have built-in speakers. If is possible that, for some reason, the monitor thought it needed to display an audio control of some sort. You might try using the setup button(s) on the monitor itself to dig through the available monitor-controlled settings to see if you can find anything that looks like the control you saw on the screen.
    I am thinking the same thing. May also be that the volume button on the monitor is stuck somehow!

Page 5 of the manual shows the volume buttons on the bottom of the monitor.
    http://support.gateway.com/us/en/ema...1&modelId=1313

RECTANGULAR GRAY VOLUME ICON...

Photo of the icon which has now come back:

P1000193.JPG

Did you try adjusting the volume controls on the monitor? If the bar changes, then we know the volume display box is coming from the monitor itself.

OMG! I thought to myself, "what volume controls on the monitor?" I never knew they were on the bottom of the frame of the screen! Yes this icon is there, & I can change the "100" to "99,98,etc." by using the left/right buttons. Now I left it at 100, & pressed "Exit" (which also says "Auto"). Don't know if that does the trick but I'll read Monitor info. Anything else I should do?

Yes. Those are the controls we have been talking about. At least, you confirmed that it is the monitor. Like I said, I've only seen that popup with hardware controls.

Auto = exit. That should be ok. Make sure there isn't anything that could accidentally hit the volume keys. If the problem persists, you may want to get the monitor exchanged under warranty. If it's out of warranty, then you probably want to shop for a new monitor WITHOUT built-in speakers.

THANK YOU!

Thank you all for your hard work. Also, your website is so well-engineered & user-friendly. I have a blog, & will highly recommend "Virtual Dr." to my readers.
    blog is "http://www.Merillion.Wordpress.com" (just in case you get a chance to look at it .

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Yes. Those are the controls we have been talking about. At least, you confirmed that it is the monitor. Like I said, I've only seen that popup with hardware controls.

Auto = exit. That should be ok. Make sure there isn't anything that could accidentally hit the volume keys. If the problem persists, you may want to get the monitor exchanged under warranty. If it's out of warranty, then you probably want to shop for a new monitor WITHOUT built-in speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by MarrowBone View Post
    Thank you all for your hard work. Also, your website is so well-engineered & user-friendly. I have a blog, & will highly recommend "Virtual Dr." to my readers.
    blog is "http://www.Merillion.Wordpress.com" (just in case you get a chance to look at it .
    With help for this thread I found the answer (at least to my issue). The first button on the underside of the monitor has a short. If you hold the button in, the sound bar disappears. I disassembled the monitor (snaps apart) then I tied thin fishing line around the button to keep it in the up position. I'm having trouble locating the part to replace but this will work for now. Numbers you will need off the part is 715G3208-1 and it is called a KEPC. Lots of parts come up under that number but not the KEPC board.

Hello, I too am having this volume icon issue. Can someone please help? Thanks!

Welcome to Virtualdr. It would be best for you to start a new thread for your problem and describe it in detail so anyone wanting or able to help you won't have to read through 2 pages of someone else's issue, which may or may not be exactly similar to yours, first.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

ohed13 -

We also need more information. If the symptoms are EXACTLY like those in post #1 of this thread, then we need the make and model of the monitor you are using.

Thread Information