Taskbar row count won't stay put

Thread: Taskbar row count won't stay put

Taskbar row count won't stay put

Windows 10 Pro 64b

I set up my taskbar to be two rows high. Then I lock it. It stays that way a while and then it reverts to a single row with an up/down control on the right hand side to switch between rows.

How can I get it to stay two rows high instead of switching to one row. It's a real pain to have to use that control to change rows every time I want to click an icon. Much easier to access the icon I want efficiently with two rows.

Thanks for any help!

It is Windows 10, so there is no guarantee that any fix will work on a permanent basis. However, the following links may be useful:

https://superuser.com/questions/1228...-after-restart

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-a94695f8b1f3

Thanks jdc2000, great help as always.

You've got to love Windows 10:

"Others claim that setting the taskbar height to 3 rows and rebooting makes it stay as 2 rows. Strange, but maybe worth trying."

HAHAHAHAHA!

Okay, I am trying this one since I'd rather do this than mess with group policies since doing that probably means I will have to change group policies every time I want to change my taskbar. We'll see if this one works first (not holding my breath). I'll report back after I've exhausted all the possibilities or fixed it whichever comes first. You'd think that since this is so common and that one of those discussions goes back 2 years that MS would have already fixed this.

Which is a better chance? A slim chance or a fat chance?

This one may be solved. One of the workarounds in the links was to NOT lock the taskbar (ironically). So I tried that one first. So far it looks like its working. If it stops working, I will report back here.

Why MS wouldn't fix this so I can keep it locked is just one more unexplainable Windows mystery.

Thanks again!

It's definitely fixed. So the workaround solution was to NOT lock the taskbar. It worked.

URRRRRRR! Is anything in Windows 10 ACTUALLY ever fixed?!!!

After working right for maybe 6 or 7 sessions with reboots it's back to its old tricks. Went from 2 rows to 1 row even when the taskbar was unlocked.

So I am trying possible fix #2: Set taskbar to THREE rows and lock it.

After a reboot it did indeed reduce to 2 rows. The question now is is it going to reduce again to 1 row so that I am back in the soup. Maybe its just because I'm in a bad mood and feeling pessimistic, but I'm betting it will. We shall see.

I will report back.

UPDATE: That didn't last long. Went from 3 rows to 2, then went from 2 rows to 1 after next reboot.

On to attempt #3 ...changing group policies.
    Last edited by Ryan1; September 25th, 2019 at 10:29 AM.

Okay it SEEMS like the third times the charm. It APPEARS after a couple of days use, that the workaround in the links you provided jdc2000 that involved setting a group policy to disable the "Lock Taskbar" setting on the taskbar worked. After a couple of days it is still holding at 2 rows.

The downside is that if you want to change your tasbar settings you have to first undo the group policy. So it's a workaround not a solution.

MS clearly knew about this a long time ago since the solution is posted on their site by their representative. So is there any rational reason why they could not have fixed it so when you set the taskbar to "Locked" it is actually locked just like it is when you set the group policy? I know programmers who could fix this in about 10 seconds. MS doesn't have anyone who can do it even after all this time?

CHEESH!

But anyway, thank you for the great help! I THINK this one is done at least the best it can be (you never know with Windows!)
    Last edited by Ryan1; September 27th, 2019 at 03:50 PM.

Microsoft is not interested in fixing things like this, unfortunately. Productivity and usability are not high on their priority list right now. Adding new bling-bling and eye-candy apparently are however.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Microsoft is not interested in fixing things like this, unfortunately. Productivity and usability are not high on their priority list right now. Adding new bling-bling and eye-candy apparently are however.
    Sad, especially since 99% of users don't use 99% of the features Windows already has.

Thread Information