Image Backups Don't Match

Thread: Image Backups Don't Match

Image Backups Don't Match

Did image backup using Win 10 feature. Shows 38.4 GB. When I do the image backup using Acronis, I get 84 GBs. Why the discrepancy? Or, am I not getting a full image with the onboard feature in Win 10?
    Jim S.

Is Acronis also backing up another drive/partition besides C:? Or is Acronis also backing up the image made by Windows? Where are the images stored? How much space does C: take up?

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Check the advanced options on Acronis to see if there are any exclusions. If Acronis is backing up the swap file, that would make a difference.

By default, Acronis TI will omit the pagefile and hibernation file.

It's hard for us to tell when we don't know what settings you used. Fink brought up some good points, so please answer his questions. If TI is backing up the Windows Backup files, that would explain why it is about double the size.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1 View Post
    Did image backup using Win 10 feature. Shows 38.4 GB. When I do the image backup using Acronis, I get 84 GBs. Why the discrepancy? Or, am I not getting a full image with the onboard feature in Win 10?
    This is a new build with an Intel i5 Cpu, 250 Gb M SSD. The image backup is to an external Seagate 500 GB drive. When I use the Acronis software to do the image backup it tell me 84+ GBs have been copied, the same amount also shows when I do the SSD properties check on the drive. The sums, n other words match. When I use the onboard Win 10 image feature, I don't get the same, compatible readings, as already noted. No other drive is being imaged at the same time. I get the message, when using this approach that the image was copied successfully.
    Jim S.

Can you post a screenshot if exactly what you're looking at?

It sounds like you are talking about browsing within the image backup files, not the .tib file size.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Can you post a screenshot if exactly what you're looking at?

It sounds like you are talking about browsing within the image backup files, not the .tib file size.
    Looks like Acronis was backing up everything, page file, etc. Thanks to all for the assist.
    Jim S.

Just FYI, Acronis TI does not backup the actual pagefile or hibernation file. It creates a stub/placeholder in the .tib file, which allows it to just recreate them after the restore.

Thread Information