[RESOLVED] Mouse installation/Update

Thread: [RESOLVED] Mouse installation/Update

Resolved [RESOLVED] Mouse installation/Update

I seem to have a major problem installing an update for a MS Mouse.

Facts: W 7 Home Prem., Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 4000, HP Pavillion Laptop updated from VISTA to W7, beginning of November 2009.

The mouse was installed by myself with Injtellipoint 6.2, then updated to 7.0 before the update to W 7. Yesterday, I downloaded version 7.1 directly from MS and tried to install. It failed with the following message:

"Set up must close because an error ocurred. Verify that your computer fulfills the system requirements on the product package. Restart your computer and try running Set Up again. If this error happens again, see Help for Customer Support options (Error Code 1603)."

This mouse is fully compatible with W 7 which I checked. Looking into W Explorer, the folder for Microdoft Mouse was gone but the mouse was still working.

Checking the Device Manger showed the mouse was still there! I checked HID Devices showed the HID Non User Input Data Filter showed the following Message:

"The SW for this device has been blocked from starting because it is known to have aproblem with Windows. Contact hardware vendor for new driver (Code 48).
    Check "Ceck for solutions" to send data to MS to see if there is a solution avaiable."

I did the latter but it does not work.

Have been looking for solutions elswhere on the net: no result (so far).

I also tried a variety of reinstallation which included the suspension of my AV program, several restarts etc. No success. After restarts W7 tries to update the driver fro the mouse which of course fails with the first message.

Something is corrupt somewhere even though the mouse works but I cannot see certain settings in Control Panel>Mouse.

I just tried, and 7.1 installed just fine on my rig. So, as you say, something isn't right there. Have you tried uninstalling Intellipoint completely, and then starting again with 7.1?
    Nick.

Yes , I did uninstall version 7.0 which by the way installed perfectly in October las year. As I said the whole folder is gone. Sorry, I did not mention this clearly.

There is only one other possibility: delete all mouse files from \windows\System32 and try the setup again.

I think I have some sort of a clue what causes it though I am not sure. It has something to do with this annoying HID NUID Filter thingy. I ran an update for the file nuidfltr.sys. The version inst. was like 6.0 now it 7.0. Then I tried to install mouse version 7.1 but the same issue ocurred. Ther is also a message in a box "program Compatibility Assistant which telss me that "A driver is installed that causes Stability problems with your system. This driver will be disabled. Please, contact the driver manufacturer for an update that is compatible with this version of Windows." One then can check for a solution online but there isn;t one. Of course the manufacturer of the driver IS Microsoft.

Does the mouse work? Is there a reason you feel that updating the drivers will help something?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Yes, if there is a difference between 7.1 and 7.0, I'm at a loss to see what it is. Personally, I wouldn't lose any sleep over leaving 7.0 installed unless you know that 7.1 has something that you desperately need.
    Nick.

I have a tendency to update erything on my PCs when updates become available. The mouse works based on the drivers that are in c:\Windows\System\Drivers. However, in the Control Panel>Mouse it does not show the mouse that I have but something generic/PS2. I cannot adjust one button on the side of the mouse and it does not show the battery status which it did before.

I also have a tendency to work on a problem until I find a solution. Sometimes this may take weeks.

I have contacted MS Support and got eventually to the Easy Assist Team. They saw what happens when installing the 7.1. version. Their explanation was since the upgrade from VISTA to W 7 may have caused something not to function properly although all SW on my laptop works fine. The guy added that I am not the only having this problem and MS is aware of it. There will be a solution at some time in the form of an update or a new mouse driver version in the future. At this point there is no solution or work around avaialble.

I'd have to agree with them about the upgrade being a possible culprit - I've never known any upgrade that didn't cause some degree of flakiness

Thanks for posting back with what you found out, hopefully it will help someone else
    Nick.

Thread Information