Browser freezes when attachments are being used.

Thread: Browser freezes when attachments are being used.

Browser freezes when attachments are being used.

Using Chrome and Edge when attaching a file attachment in an email (I use Yahoo mail and Gmail) my attachments show up in the popup box as normal but the icons are white boxes. After that I get a frozen computer. It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen most of the time. Normally the attachment box pops up and shows Word, Excel, PP or PDF in their normal colors. When this happens my attachments attach normally. Only when they show up white is when I get the crash. I then have to shut down Chrome or Edge and start all over with the email and then trying the attachment.

On Edge when I hit the paperclip for attachment the Task Manager loads File Picker UI.
    On Chrome when I attach, the Task Manager does not show File Picker UI but CTF Loader is activated more.

So this is Windows 10 and it only happens on one of my many computers using Mcafee. All have been updated to version 1903 and all of these are just using Windows Defender.

Any takers on this one?
    Note: My questions may be to help others
    Thanks, JB

What happens if you try running Chrome in Compatibility Mode (Set it for Windows 7)?

I was told by Google help that Chrome does not have old Compatibility Mode. Besides it happens in Microsoft Edge too.
    Thanks, JB

Possibly useful link:

http://browserfreeze.com/browser-iss...indows-update/

Try Run as Administrator also.

What happens if you use IE11? You can definitely run that in Compatibility Mode. In IE, also make sure to go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab and select "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering".

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Possibly useful link:

http://browserfreeze.com/browser-iss...indows-update/

Try Run as Administrator also.

What happens if you use IE11? You can definitely run that in Compatibility Mode. In IE, also make sure to go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab and select "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering".
    Well, I never, never use IE11 so what would that matter. Only Chrome and Edge. Any it is still happening. Is this something called filepicker that is having an issue or maybe just Windows 10? Just went up to 1903 and a week later it started to happen on this one and only computer. Dell Precision laptop, I7 quad.

Can't believe how long I have been trying to fix this.
    Thanks, JB

If you try a test using IE11, and everything works as it should, that would eliminate Windows as the issue. It would be a browser problem. If IE11 has the same issue, then it is a Windows 10 problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    If you try a test using IE11, and everything works as it should, that would eliminate Windows as the issue. It would be a browser problem. If IE11 has the same issue, then it is a Windows 10 problem.
    Sorry VirtualDr's email response are coming into my Spam folder and I keep forgetting to look there for the email response.

The reason I think it is either a Windows issue or a McAfee issue is that it happens in Microsoft Edge and in Chrome which we use. But I do agree that using IE would even tell us more information. So anyhow it happens about maybe 30% of the time. We do have a heavy version of McAfee on the computer and using the Task Manager it shows McAfee is running in maybe 6 different items. This is a business computer and we don't want to disable the McAfee.
    Thanks, JB

If it only happens 30% of the time, it can be hard to track down. If you suspect McAfee (a likely possibility), and the issue occurs, try temporarily disabling McAfee to see if that works. If it does, it may be time to think about replacing McAfee with something better.

Thread Information