problems opening applications.

Thread: problems opening applications.

problems opening applications.

My problems started after installimg MS Visual studio 6 professional. I have a pentium 200 with 64mb, 4Gb HD. After the instillation was completed succesfully, i tried to restart but my PC wouldn't. I had to start in safe mode and uninstall using studis own uninstaller. Now i find i can't open some heavy applications such as explorer, real player, ms word, borland c++ unless i run AOL beforehand. Even AOL takes about 5 minutes to load up. I've also expereineced some shutting down problems. I'd be greatfull of any advice.

Steve,

Look carefully at the package for VS (or the CD case). Somewhere it tells you which operating systems version 6 of VS is compatible with. Same thing happened to me. I had version 5 installed on my Win95 system. This was ok as version 5 was compatible with Win95. Version 6 of VS only works with Win98/Win NT. Unfortunately, once I installed version 6 onto my 95 system I had to do a complete reinstall of 95 to correct the problems. I tried several other things before the reinstall but the system behaved strangely until I reinstalled 95.

Hope this helps.

Dan
    Dan

Thanks for the advice Dan.

Thread Information