Cannot Install WIndows95
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Install WIndows95

Cannot Install WIndows95

I got this error messages when I try to install the Windows95 after I ran the setup to d:\ drive I got this error " Scandisk is unable to check a drive because there is not extended memory driver loaded on your computer. To check this drive, make sure that you have a HIMEM.SYS file on the disk from which you are starting your computer ad tge restart using the 'command prompt only'. Depending on the location of the HIMEM.SYS file, you many need to add a line such as DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS OR DEVICE=A:\HIMEM.SYS in the config.sys file on your Boot drive. That's the exact error message that I received when the setup start to initialize.
    Thank you in advance for the help that you can provide.

Try this Microsoft Article:

Problems Running Windows 95 with NOAUTO in the CONFIG.SYS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows 98
    Microsoft Windows 95

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYMPTOMS
    When you try to load Windows, one of the following problems may occur:

Windows stops responding (hangs) at the logo screen.

Windows reports the following error message
    Missing <device name> Make sure that the file is in your Windows directory and that its location is correctly specified in your CONFIG.SYS file.
    where <device name> is a device such as HIMEM.SYS.

CAUSE
    These problems can occur if you have added the NOAUTO parameter to the "DOS=" statement in the CONFIG.SYS file. For example:

DOS=HIGH,UMB,NOAUTO

This parameter can also cause your computer to hang at the first Setup reboot because IFSHLP.SYS is not loaded.

RESOLUTION

Remove the NOAUTO parameter from the DOS= statement in the CONFIG.SYS file.

-or-

Insert the required DEVICE= statements in the CONFIG.SYS file so that the necessary devices are loaded during startup.

MORE INFORMATION
    The NOAUTO parameter prevents Windows from loading devices such as HIMEM.SYS and IFSHLP.SYS automatically while booting. If you use this parameter, you must specify the devices that need to be loaded by adding them to the CONFIG.SYS file.

Additional query words: errors halts locks automatic boot-up

Thank you for the informat...once I edit the Configuration..should I write this one line ;

device=C:\windows\himem.sys ?

Thank you very much for the help.

Try simply removing the NOAUTO first and see if it resolves the problem, if not, insert the "device=C:\windows\himem.sys" line.

If you are installing on a fresly formatted drive you can simply ignore this error
    OR
    you can start the installation by running
    SETUP /IS
    this will prevent scandisk from running
    Much simpler
    Formerly known as Eyesee, see?
    Everything works,in theory

Thank you for your support Nestiam and Eyesee...I really appreciate it...and much appreciate it if those steps works :-) keep helping others...that is a good job :-) I hope I have a brain just like yours.

Thanks again and later

I installed a new hard drive in my system yesterday and got hte same message. I decided to try and install Win.95 directly as the O/S rather than installing DOS first. I was able to work around it by: 1) inserting the start up disk to boot from. 2) I waited for the C:\ prompt and then installed my CD Rom Driver Disk to the hard drive 3) I inserted the win.95 CD and ran setup. It was then able to read the missing file from the cd and it installed just fine. Hope this was of some help to you.

SummerBris

Thanks SummerBris..for the help, I will going to try that also...:-)

Hey guys, the steps that you all gave works for me, :-) Funny thing is, I got a new error message, here's the message again "There is not enough free conventional memory to check a drive.
    You may need to remark (REM)some device drivers from your Config.sys, you may need to load the EMM386.exe driver to load your other device drivers into Upper Memory Block using DEVICEHIGH=statement" That's a new error message that I received...Thanks again folks.

See if this Microsoft Article helps at all:

http://support.microsoft.com/support...-US&SD=gn&FR=0

Thanks, I think I need to reformat my hard drive again, if so..should I type this Format C:/ on the A:/ or C:/ and after that if I will going to transfer the system files to the hard disk I will going to type SYS C: command...is that right again :-) Please let me know if that's correct..so that I don't have any trouble at all when I reformat it again...and do I run the FDISK again to make a partition..hard drive is only 1 gig and I am running 486 dx processor on my Home computer. Thanks in adavance...

I assume from your 1st post you have a suitable bootdisk. If so format your drive with the command Format C: Do not worry about putting the /s switch in(this installs the necessary system files) as when you run Windows Setup it will put them in anyway. If you do it this way you shouldn't get the insufficient memory message. Don't need to Fdisk(As long as you have set it up as a DOS partition), just leave it at 1G, and make sure the Primary partition (your only one) is set to Active.

[This message has been edited by Topdog (edited 05-29-2000).]

After I format my hard disk what partition should I choose..

If you haven't created any more than one, then there is no choice. Anyway Setup usually defaults to C:, and unless you want otherwise, let it. Have you set up more than 1 partition?

I don't think I set a more than 1 partition on my hard disk..but can I run format my hard drive again without the partitions..I don't what to messed up my computer..:-) so can I do it again...after I formatted my hard drive can I run the setup again in D:\ drive?

Thread Information