IE temp files filling up C drive
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE temp files filling up C drive

IE temp files filling up C drive

C drive has been growing the past few days and so I snooped around in windows explorer and found TONS of files in windows temp internet. I had cleaned out temp files and cookies and there are so many more temp files in the folders under content IE.5. Does anyone know what all these files are and is this due to me installing IE 6????

monnieta,

Try this. It should help you out with your Temp Internet files.

Go to start / settings / control panel / internet options / advanced / scrool down to all most the bottom and check the box Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed.

Click Ok. Now every time you closer your Web Browser, all the files in these temporart Internet files will be deleted. This should save you the time of having to manually delete them.

------------------
    Moderator at Amazing Techs & CybertechHelp.

TROT
    ===============================================

| The Ramblings of Theoran | An Omnimaxx Fan |

I already have that done but that isn't helping. These are in IE 5 content and I am using IE 6 now. The files are located in C, windows, temporary internet, content. IE5 and then in 4 folders under that.The folders are named a series of letters and numbers. Can I delete the files in these folders or the folders themselves?

[This message has been edited by monnieta (edited 10-30-2001).]

In IE go to Tools >Internet Options > General > Settings > View Files. In the new window opened (Temporary Internet Files) choose [Select All] from Edit and then [Delete] from File. OKs out of IE and now go to C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content IE5 and check. They should be gone.

------------------
    Find me at AmazingTechs also.

They are still there in ths IE 5 content folders.

That's strange! The above method clear mine.
    Let's do it in DOS.

At C prompt, use this command:

deltree /y C:\Windows\TEMPOR~1

------------------
    Find me at AmazingTechs also.

[This message has been edited by falcon2000 (edited 10-31-2001).]

Could this be because I was using IE5 and then installede IE6 and all the files are still going in the IE5 folders? In the IE5 content folders there are folders numbered 1-99 and they are empty. There are GIF's in those folders of forexample a page from this website.

spragers Guest
    I would try what has already been suggested, and that is to delete both temporary Internet folders. If Windows needs them it will re-create them, hopefully in the correct way this time!

Hi,
    If you want to eliminate unwanted files automatically on daily basis or according customized scheduler, take a look at www.zdelete.com. It has 30 days trail version.
    This software can erase selected files, Temp Files, Internet Cache, Internet History, Internet Cookies, etc. without any possibility of the following data recovery. It has integrated Disk Wiper.

What is the purpose for deleting temporary internet files? Does it help your system run faster?

IE6 continues to use the same IE5 Content folder within the Temporary Internet Files directory. You can wipe it completely out, but IE6 will simply recreate it. This folder contains your temp internet files which substantially speed up your browsing, especially at frequently-visited sites. These files are not "filling up" your harddrive -- they are created in finite amounts, and eventually are replaced by newer ones. Again, in IE6 there is no IE6 Content temp folder -- IE5 continues to be the storage directory.

monnieta,

Try this, I did it and it work perfectly.

Edit autoexec.bat file (this is a hidden file in the Windows directory) and put these two lines in it.

C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\deltree /y C:\Windows\tempor~1\*.*
    C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\deltree /y C:\windows\temp\*.*

Now every time you boot your machine, everything in these two folders is deleted.

Consult this article for a more indepth explanation.

------------------

TROT

I will try that. Thanks.

monnieta,

I'm sorry, I gave you some wrong info. The autoexec.bat is located in the C: directory.

------------------

TROT

Monnieta, if you follow Theoran's suggestion -- which is a real head-shaker -- what is the point? You will delete the Internet Temp files before Windows loads, then immediately upon browsing the internet, the directory will be re-created and the temp files will come back. They SHOULD be there. They will not fill up your hard-drive. And you can always occasionally delete them. Be careful about following some of these very curious suggestions from folks who don't even know that the autoexec.bat is in the root directory.

Thread Information