IDE Controller

Thread: IDE Controller

gwillis is offline Sr Mem but still learning

IDE Controller

Installed 2 new harddrive to system. Now CD Rom is not seen. Have Intel 82371 SB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller. When I go into device mgr, Primary IDE and Secondary IDE are showing in error (yellow with !) Is that the reason CD Rom not being seen? How can I fix the problem?

Can anyone give me any ideas? I've never run across this problem before. Thanks!

Also, it's a Compaq Deskpro 2000. No information on how to get to BIOS. F2, F10 and DEL does not seem to do the trick.

Yes,

"When I go into device mgr, Primary IDE and Secondary IDE are showing in error (yellow with !)"

Do you also have a "DUAL IDE CONTROLLER" listed?, you should.

Highlight it go to properties, and make sure both IDE channells are enabled.

How do you have them jumpered?

CDROM a Master or slave and to what?

------------------
    Murf

Visit-Murf's Windows Garage

But if it ain't broke - "Break It" - So we can help fix it!
    Please do not use "PM" for personal help, post in forum so everybody can learn

Yes, they are dual fifo. CD Rom is Master with Second harddrive slave. The system sees the hard drive, not the CD Rom. I don't know about the jumper? I'm at work right now but will check this out when I get home. Thanks.

Just wondering - does it make any difference if I have the smaller of the 2 hard drives set up as master and the other one slave? They are 2.1 Gig and 3.2 Gig. My biggest concern is that the CD Rom is not showing anywhere. I can't load drivers from Win 95 CD without it. Maybe I'll just take out all the drives, and start over.

The size of the drive does not matter, the yellow ! is a concern and is why the cdrom is not being loaded.. You have to get the controllers working 1st.

I would confige them this way:

IDE #1 (MASTER) Hard Drive with Operating system on it

SLAVE other Hard drive

IDE#2 MASTER CDROM

Shouldn't put a hard drive as a slave to a cdrom, as the BIOS may see the cdrom as a Hard Drive.

------------------
    Murf

Thanks Murf. That's what I was afraid of. Will switch the hard drive config first thing and will let you know.

Murf - I hooked the 2 hard drives together and put the CD Rom on Master Secondary. Ran Win98 startup disk, it saw the CD Rom, I reinstalled Win95 and everything is fine now. Will remember not to hook hd as slave to CD rom. Thanks for the assistance.

No problem Windows is kind of picky when it comes to what it wants to see....

------------------
    Murf

Thread Information