Browsers

Thread: Browsers

Browsers

I have both Internet Explorer 5.5 and
    Netscape 6.0. I was informed that they both
    spport Java files, but on some of the web sites I go to tell me that "your browser does not support Java". I use AOL and Earthlink as my servers, who also have their
    browsers.
    How can I get a browser that will spport
    Java files? Any help will be appreciated

In Netscape, click Edit|Preferences|Advanced and make sure there is a check next to Enable Java.
    Vernon Frazee, Microsoft MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

Defenses Up!
    Tip: When prompted for a password, give an incorrect one first. A phishing site will accept it; a legitimate one won't.

Inside Spyware: A Guide to Finding, Removing and Preventing Online Pests

If you don't keep up with security fixes, your computer|network won't be yours for long.

Originally posted by Vernon Frazee:
    In Netscape, click Edit|Preferences|Advanced and make sure there is a check next to Enable Java.
    Thanks I will give it a try,& let you know
    DTOLY

jtmurphy Guest
    None of my business, but why in the world are you paying for two ISP's;

AOL $21.95 a month
    Earthlink $19.95 a month (I think)

Even if AOL still has that thingy Bring Your Own ISP for $9.95 a month Your Still Paying too much

Tell me to blow off - none of your business, I deserve it.

But AOL has its own browser, in my opinion sucks, don't know anything about Earthlink, but you say they have their own inter-linked one, then you have IE and NS, so maybe four different browsers?

Oh well, sorry to rant, but there are enough FREE ISP's out there, and some with no banners (I don't use them), but it could save you a bunch of bucks.

Also, which browser do you use the most?, then get rid of the other's, unless you like both IE and NS.

Vernon, answered the post, but I have left over bloating from Turkey day and letting off some steam - sorry it's your post, but If I posted a new one - nobody would read it.....

Bottom Line

1. Tell me to shut up
    2. Find one good ISP (in my opinion- not AOL)
    3. Keep one main Browser (my vote is NS), then an alternative I guess IE.

4. Don't let this post keep you away from the best forum on the internet VRDR

------------------
    Murf

My Win95 Help Page
    Murphy's Law- It will go wrong, but we can fix it!!
    But if it ain't broke - "Break It" - So we can help fix it!

Murf, All of my tapiexe problems started when i tried to install AOL from a funky free cd. I ended up getting earthlink but i didn't install their software cd either because I have a feeling it will take over my browser IE 4.1. I think AOL screwed my computer up. Or trying to completely uninstall it did.

Emilia

Originally posted by jtmurphy:
    None of my business, but why in the world are you paying for two ISP's;

AOL $21.95 a month
    Earthlink $19.95 a month (I think)

Even if AOL still has that thingy Bring Your Own ISP for $9.95 a month Your Still Paying too much

Tell me to blow off - none of your business, I deserve it.

But AOL has its own browser, in my opinion sucks, don't know anything about Earthlink, but you say they have their own inter-linked one, then you have IE and NS, so maybe four different browsers?

Oh well, sorry to rant, but there are enough FREE ISP's out there, and some with no banners (I don't use them), but it could save you a bunch of bucks.

Also, which browser do you use the most?, then get rid of the other's, unless you like both IE and NS.

Vernon, answered the post, but I have left over bloating from Turkey day and letting off some steam - sorry it's your post, but If I posted a new one - nobody would read it.....

Bottom Line

1. Tell me to shut up
    2. Find one good ISP (in my opinion- not AOL)
    3. Keep one main Browser (my vote is NS), then an alternative I guess IE.

4. Don't let this post keep you away from the best forum on the internet VRDR

Thanks for your opion, but I have been with AOL for 9 yers. now and happy with it
    and I can spend my bucks any way I want to!!
    Any way what has it got to do with why my
    browser not letting me vew Java files

jtmurphy Guest
    Well it's obvious you saw no humor in my post, so I will apologize. As I indicated Vernon answered your post and should have solved your problem.

Having that many browsers' can confuse your computer and in particular if you lose your default settings for the default browser, which can happen.

If for instance you use IE as your default browser and have Java enabled, then you lose the default setting and open up say Netscape and Java is not checked, then you have the problem you are experiencing..

I have seen this happen as I have IE 4.0 and Netscape and use Netscape as the default one.

I'm sorry if you took my initial post personally, it was not meant to be...

We have many folks posting here with several ISP's (for whatever reason) and problems do arise because of this.

For Emilia & Everybody

Let me make it clear that my personal opinion in no way reflects the opinions of VRDR. Many folks use and enjoy AOL, and for them it is great, and is probably one of the most user friendly ISP's for beginners.

However, as you progress in knowledge of the computer, you find that there are many, many other ISP's out there, that may not provide the convenient start up screen (although you can build your own with any ISP) but do the same thing for a lot cheaper.

I has AOL and dropped it because of this, but more importantly, I was hacked and my credit card charged and AOL would not do anything about it, said take it up with your credit card company- gazoom screw AOL and dropped it like a hot cake.

AOL like Prodigy, CompuServe are what is called proprietary, they have there own software bundled and can cause problems. How many posts have we seen here about AOL 5.0 problems...

Anyway to each there own and if AOL doesn't work then check out MOKES help page, he has devoted a whole section on AOL.

------------------
    Murf

My Win95 Help Page
    Murphy's Law- It will go wrong, but we can fix it!!
    But if it ain't broke - "Break It" - So we can help fix it!

[This message has been edited by jtmurphy (edited 11-26-2000).]

Thread Information