Com port

Thread: Com port

Com port

Anyone know how to release a com port with a DOS command. A friend dials to a bank using either procomm or hyperterminal. When they disconnect and try to dial later, it won't connect. The modem dials, and you hear the handshake, but the connection times out. I think that the modem is not releasing the port, but I can't remember the DOS command to manually release a com port. Anyone have any ideas?

For DOS commands see my site's DOS page;
    http://rvi.net/~moke/MokeHlp/dos.htm

If you can't find what you need perhaps powering off the system for a minute will work.

------------------
    486 / USB x murfactor = ¹Ç»¼¶

My Help Site;
    http://rvi.net/~moke/MokeHlp/home.htm

You could try unloading and reloading the program. This can be done very easilly through a batch file and may release the port.
    joe evans

Try dialing another number, like your ISP's number. Just to see if it will connect.

The fact that it is dialing, tells me you have access to the modem, which means you also have access to the COM port. If you were really lock out of the COM port, you would get a message saying that the COM port was unavailable.

What's the time delay between sucessfully connecting to the bank and the next time when you don't connect ot the bank; seconds, minute, hours?

Is it possible that the Bank system has too much traffic at that time to be able to service you call?

Is there a limit to how often the person is allowed to dial in?

Is you friend 'logging off' of the banks system, or just shutting down the terminal program? If he/she is not logging off properly then they are still logged in even after they disconnect. Most systems will not allow more than one active login under a given user's name.

[This message has been edited by boyblue (edited 05-04-2000).]

Thread Information