need old vbrun100.dll file for game
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need old vbrun100.dll file for game

need old vbrun100.dll file for game

This question may not belong here but...

..my wife loves to play an old Microsoft game called Rodent's Revenge (Rodent.exe). It was part of a Micron Microsoft Entertainment (13 games) pack that I got with my 1st PC W95a in 1995. I have the old floppy disk but have never been able to get it to install properly (Micron couldn't help either).

I saved the game program group (called "BOWEP" for some reason) to a zip disk but the game keeps asking for a vbrun100.dll. Nearest I could find was a vbrun300.dll in windows\system. I renamed a copy (stupid but worth a shot) but the game said wrong version of run time. I guess the 100.dll might have belonged to the long gone windows95 PC but I have no way of knowing.

Anyway, is there any hope on getting this little game to run??? Is there an older version of the vbrun100.dll that I could put in the game file without farging everything up?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Go to most any search engine and search for vbrun100. Some download sites should come up.

What the heck, make life easy for you...click on the smiley:

That's it...hangover kicking in. Happy Y2K. Ed

Tx guys,
    Who'd of thought there was an old .dll site out there?

I know it's been a long time but I would like to try and fix this problem once and for all.

First off the vbrun100.dll did not enable Rodent's Revenge (R/R is part of the M$oft Entertainment Pack). After I added the dll clicking on the game resulted in absolutely no response at all.

What I would like to do is get the game floppy to install everything like it's suppose to. So here goes.

The MS Entertainment game floppy manages to start loading like regular. But after a minute it asks for disk 1. Well, this is disk 1 so where do I go now? I tried using all the Micron program and games disks that they provided but none of them worked. Now What??

Is there some way I can trick the install to finish loading? Might there be some other dll file that W95B has that conflicts with the games W95A setup? Do you think this might one of those Wsock32.dll overwrite problems?

BTW I had no problem re-installing the M$oft arcade game off another floppy in the same Micron package.

This game is so old that no one sells it and M$oft dosen't support it at all.

maybe you have a bad disk or a bad file on the disk
    have you run a thorought scandisk on the disk yet?
    Formerly known as Eyesee, see?
    Everything works,in theory

Just checking...But did you put the dll in your system directory so the computer can find it? Whenever I got that game I just copied it off of my friends computer and downloaded the proper dll and it works fine for me.

------------------
    jester22
    jester22c

Tx guys,

eyesee,
    Yea it's a good disk. Micron even re-sent me the ENTIRE software suite. The new one did the same thing. However they couldn't help because further because the PC is 5 yrs old and out of warranty plus no one in there tech support knew how to get it to work any way.

jester22c,
    I'm at work now but I'll check tonight.
    I think I put the dll in the BOWEP program game file. I wonder if I put it in BOTH location? hmmmmmm

You definitely put it in the wrong place. It can't go in the Bowep folder. Unlike later versions such as vbrun300 (which is usually in Windows/System) I believe vbrun100 needs to be installed in the Windows folder, not the System folder. If you want to play it safe, put it in both (Windows and Windows/System), but Bowep will be looking for it in C:/Windows.

Also, sounds like there is something minor amiss with your operating system which is an occassional bug of inconvenience (sometimes Windows can't even find its own files on its CD after a reformat, until you browse to the Win95 folder). I have the same Best of Entertainment package disk from Micron, and no problems on reinstall. But if you get the message asking for disk 1, did you try just saying "OK" and leaving the disk in, or using a browse command to folders on the disk? Even if that doesn't work, you should be fine if you put the dll file in C:/Windows.

[This message has been edited by Saber (edited 04-28-2000).]

ul2m8Barbie Guest
    I have some of these same old games and have copied them every time I upgrade my hardware. I've always kept all the .dll files it asks for in the same dir as the game itself and never had a problem. In fact I don't even have a bowep directory, I just slap them all into a /games directory with the .exe and .wav etc files. The games are windows 3.1 technology so what does it know?

That won't work for Flash, Barbie. I'm sure Flash appreciates all helpful input, but I also know that his disk is a specific collection of some old games contained on a repackaged disk marketed as "The Best of Entertainment", which has a single installer for all the components. You can usually select a specific folder for installation if you don't want to use the default folder for most installs, but that does not mean that every file installed goes to that folder. That's why so many "uninstaller" software programs are on the market, and why the Windows add/remove program uninstaller should be used if available, as opposed to a user just deleting the assigned folder created or selected on install. And he already indicated its not working when he put the downloaded dll in the default game folder known as "Bowep". Even though the games are 3.1 technology, its a repackaged group for marketing with early Win95 machines, and apparently Microsoft chose to put the vbrun100 in a different place by default with that package. Go figure...

I have that disk, provided with a Micron computer, and I am reasonably sure that his installer program should be putting and the games expect to find his vbrun100 in the Windows folder.

Er, I'm terribly sorry if this is such a mass bump but I have an issue regarding this topic-

I got the same error as the OP did (however everything worked except Rodent's Revenge). I went and downloaded the vbrun100.dll file and copied it to my C:/windows and c:/windows/system folders. Now the game see the DLL however is reporting a critical error. Any tips?
    -Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen
    http://coryhansen.com

I went and downloaded the file from[Microsoft] this time; link being:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...s/vbrun100.exe

and it works great! Must've just downloaded from a crummy source- some of those sites don't look very clean or inviting.. not enough so for me to be downloading important system files off of any way!

But maybe it will help some other chap that comes along and has the same problem in seven years
    Last edited by Shinnokxz; July 14th, 2006 at 05:29 PM.
    -Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen
    http://coryhansen.com

Years later.....

It's not seven years, but it has been a while. I couldn't get "Go Figure!" from WEP 4 to work either. The VBRUN100 link right above fixed the issue. I spent a lot of time trying to get that to work. Thanks for having that foresight to post your solution to such an old thread.
    -Dex

Welcome to the site

Yes i have always said DATES DONT MATTER!!! (Although many disagree with me which is sad)

I was gonna try and find the file for you but when i saw that M$ link above (Which still works) I assumed you had gotton it

Isnt Win98/98se an awesome OS??

Thread Information