Program or script to ping

Thread: Program or script to ping

Program or script to ping

I look after a network that is connected to the web by an ISDN line. The line drops out periodically, however it promptly re-dials when there is outbound web traffic.

Herein lies the problem. At night when there is no traffic from the network (cause we've all gone home) the connection can stay down for hours. Should there be incoming mail during this time it bounces as undeliverable, because it is coming from the other end (the non-dialup end) of the connection.

I am looking at ways that I could re-establish the link if it drops out. Ideas I have had include a program or script to ping a remote machine every couple of minutes.

Is there a better way? Has someone written such a program or script? Or whatever. It needs to run on an NT4 server.

All help appreciated. BF

------------------
    The answer is 42!

You will obviously save money if your ISDN line is only used when needed. Two questions for you:

1)What protocol is your mail coming in on?

2)What hardware is used to for the ISDN adapter?

------------------
    http://www.networkcritical.co.uk/forum/

Hi Andy
    1) SMTP
    2) Cisco 801 (and I don't have the password to the router)

As far as the ISDN connection is concerned we pay on download, not time.
    Thanks BF

------------------
    The answer is 42!

You can ping a Internet host in a batch file and schedule this every hour or so using AT or Task Scheduler or get a mail client to check a POP3 server at set intervals.

Hi Equaliser
    Yes I've used that mail client thing from home some years ago, when I had an ISP with a fault that kept dropping the connection. However in this case it's not much good as we have incoming mail into MS Exchange. No client involved, they are all inside our local network and getting their mail from the exchange server. However calling a batch file (with a ping command) from scheduler sounds a go. How close can events be scheduled? BF

------------------
    The answer is 42!

you can also download files to help you out...one search at download.com resulted in Keep Alive which is freeware
    I never used it myself, but maybe its worth a shot...

perhaps we should focus on why the ISDN line drops the connection...you should consult with the Network Admin (err, the guy with the password) and see if there is something he can look into in the router software...

------------------
    zam1el

[This message has been edited by zam1el (edited 10-17-2001).]
    zamiel
    the angel of hurricanes
    mallenbu@hotmail.com

The ideal solution would be to set the router never to drop the line, and have instant redial if the line is dropped, this however will require you to know the router password

A keepalive program is a good workaround and there are lots available like this example from "Mike Rotch"

http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stori...,65603,00.html

<update>didn't realise this is the same util mentioned already... my bad</update>

I should think though that is is worth getting some support on your Cisco router and getting the password reset because you may need it in the future for gathering metrics or changing other settings.

------------------
    http://www.networkcritical.co.uk/forum/

[This message has been edited by AndyC (edited 10-16-2001).]

Hi Zam
    Thanks, yes I guess I am the admin guy, but I don't know who has the password to the router. Only been in the job a short while, my predecessor left under a bit of a cloud and has not left anything that will make life easy. This question is just a stop gap measure to stop those "why is my e-mail not getting through" questions. I'll take a look at the Keep alive link to see if it will help.

Thanks Equaliser, I've just written a small (one line) batch file and set it to run and write to a log file from my scheduler here at home. Works well (but I've win98 machine here) and hence it only runs once per day. I'll take a look at AT command on the NT machine at work to see how frequently I can set it to run. It might just fill the bill.
    (edit)
    Hi Andy, We posted at the same time, yes I really need that password. And I agree with the redial thing, as you say just a workaround.
    Thanks BF

------------------
    The answer is 42!

[This message has been edited by BigFred (edited 10-16-2001).]

umm, I would make sure that if you are the netadmin that you know the password, then I would get in there and change it..if your predecessor still knows it and you don't he can 'walk' right into the network...very unsecure...

I would make that priority one as your job kind of depends on that...

------------------
    zam1el

[This message has been edited by zam1el (edited 10-17-2001).]
    zamiel
    the angel of hurricanes
    mallenbu@hotmail.com

Check the router manual, or search Cisco's site. The exact procedure varies between models, but there will be a way to access the router through a direct connection to the serial port and view/set the password without knowing it.
    Safe computing is a habit, not a toolkit.

Thread Information