email server recommendations?

Thread: email server recommendations?

email server recommendations?

I've been looking for a email server that allows you to share either email folders with others on your network or allows you to drag and drop into your job folders.

I currently use Outlook Express and have to use save as and rename it to get it into the job folders. Although I like the ability to create folders in Outlook Express these can't be shared or backed up easily as it is saved to the individual computer vs. the server.

What do you use?

------------------
    architects create ...
    do it

It all really depends on what time of mail server you run and what the purpose is.

The kind of server you are using is a POP3 server and really you can't share that mail with other people. If you used an Exchange server along with Outlook as the client, there is a way to create "public" folders, in which everyone (or select groups of people) can read.

If you can tell us what exactly you're trying to accomplish and what mail server or ISP youre using, maybe we can make a better recommendation.

We currently have a win 2000 server and use a peer to peer network for a 12 workstation office. The server is a file server so that all job files are located in one place and can be backed up. We have qwest.net dsl but also have email boxes with another web server. So each peer computer is currently configured to download the users email via outlook express. The only way to save them to the file server is described in the 1st post. Currently if a peer station goes down and we need to reload it, the usere email is sometimes not accessible. We've been using email more that letter attachments and I am worried about losing a record of the correspondence. (The paper trail.)

As we have a spare computer it was my thought that we could set up a separate email server which would receive the email and users could get their mail and that we could open and share folders to store what needs to be saved via drag & drop (as the save as and renaming takes time). If all of the email is one 1 machine we can more easily back it up.

Someone mentioned backoffice server to me once but I was unable to find anything about email on it. Is there mail software that works with windows 2000 server and does what want it to? You mentioned that Outlook allows you to use public folders and I will look into this. Does it work on a peer to peer network? How do the big offices do it?

ALso, I don't believe a mail server came with win 2000 server.

------------------
    architects create ...
    do it

Based on your current setup, its not going to be possible to share folders or emails without doing what you are currently doing. Outlook does have the ability as I have mentioned above, but it needs to be used in conjunction with an Exchange server, not a POP3 server like you have. My company, with over 11,000 employees, has such a setup.

However, I'm not sure if that type of setup would be appropriate for only 12 PCs. Outlook Express can be configured to leave all mail on the server. This will prevent your employees from losing all their mail if their PC needs to be reinstalled.

I would recommend you go for Exchange because it will provide all the functionality you are looking for and "In-depth knowledge of exchange server" looks great on your CV.

Our company has only 10 employees and I decided to run Exchange mainly because I relished the challenge. It works great for us and I recently rolled out Outlook Web Access to allow my people to access their Exchange mailbox securely from anywhere on the internet. See, there are loads of cool things you can do with it.

The only downsides are cost and the fact that there is no in-built support for POP3 mailboxes, meaning that if your ISP provides your e-mail over POP3 (instead of SMTP) then you must buy a third-party add-in for Exchange. Luckily there are some good ones out there (http://www.jak.com/).

------------------
    http://www.networkcritical.co.uk/forum/

Try netMailshar. Very good alternative to exchange as far as email server solution is concerned.
    See http://www.pppindia.com/intl/netmailshar

Here is how the description goes.....

netMailshar is an easy-to-use, multi-functional mail server that
    enables every computer in an office to send and receive email not
    only across the Internet but also within a LAN. It provides
    centralized, generic protection against all email viruses. Other
    features include scheduled mail sending and receiving, autodial and
    disconnection, support for multiple domains and unlimited pop3
    accounts, email archiving, monitoring, filtering and much more.

hope this helps.

Thread Information