Synthetic Time

Thread: Synthetic Time

Synthetic Time

Ok - I'm trying to learn a bit about Novell, and installed a 4.11 server at home. However, it beeps every 2 minutes with the message that "synthetic time is being issued on partition --------".

Apart from that, everything appears to be OK.

How do I get it to stop displaying this message and beeping??

BTW, the time is set correctly (via DOS).

Thanks in advance,

Saber
    "They say you're beautiful

And they'll always let you in

But the doors are never open

To the child without a trace of sin".

Synthetic time is issued due to an NDS time stamp being ahead of the current time set on the server. Since NDS relies on time stamps for synchronization, when you set the time back, it will slow down the clock at least until until the date and time of the last time stamp is reached.

Check the section "What if I don't know how far off my time was set?" in the KB article:
    http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/se...r.cgi?10013670

If it was set ahead only a few days or less, let it resolve itself unless the correct time on the server is very important to you.

The server time will be suspended until it's resolved so if it's something short like 10 minutes, it will only take 10 minutes to resolve.

Hi there!

Originally posted by Saber99:
    Ok - I'm trying to learn a bit about Novell, and installed a 4.11 server at home.
    If you've only got 1 server on your home network, you'll need to set you TIMESERVERType to either PRIMARY or SINGLE.

You can do that from the console, from SERVMAN.NLM or from MONITOR.NLM. You'll find it under Time Synchronisation.

After you've done that, it should fix. If not, check your STARTUP.NCF and AUTOEXEC.NCF to see what settings are being laoded.

Regards,
    Mystic

------------------
    "What I tell you three times is true." -- The Bellman
    "What I tell you three times is true." -- The Bellman

Thread Information