Invalid system disk

Thread: Invalid system disk

Invalid system disk

I have been trying to search the archives for answers, but I don't seem to have any luck. I'm very open to suggestions and appreciate your response. Here are the symptoms:

*A week ago I was working on the computer (Win95). I loaded Netscape and it crashed. I tried loading it again, and the computer rebooted and came up with the "Invalid System Disk, please replace and press any key" message.

*Using a boot disk, I tried using scandisk and norton disk doctor (ndd.exe) but scandisk couldn't read the drive and ndd showed the drive as Type: Device Driver,
    Size UNKNOWN. The bios is set to autodetect, and that works just fine.

*When I get a dir listing on C: it used to come up with an empty directory. Weird thing was, the remaining space left on the drive reported correct (900MB left of 4GB) but no subdirectories. Now since I tried the 'sys c:' approach from a bootdisk (since there was no windows dir for it to work) I have a command.com and can boot from c: but the directory has some extended ascii character garbage in it and still has the same correct free space reading.

I guess my main question is, can I salvage anything? I've been using a demo Ontrack recovery program to backup important files (5 at a time) to floppy, but can anyone recommend a good DOS boot virus scanner?
    Also, are there any other methods or suggestions I'm overlooking, or should I just accept the pain and reformat? Or will that even work? Finally, if I can get ahold of a temporary HD to backup to, any suggestions for better recovery software, freeware perhaps?

Thanks for reading this long post. Just feel vulnerable with school winding down and exams coming up.. doesn't leave me with too much time to mess with it right now. Any help is appreciated.

Tom

jtmurphy Guest
    You got a virus. The extended ascii character
    garbage is probably signs of a echo virus.
    You will not salvage win 95 hoever, you can get in a save some data and back up some files:

Reboot with a clean boot disk to get to the A:\> prompt.

Get to C:\>

If the main directories name is OK and the sub direcories have the ascii char. then try renaming the main directories i.e., directory is call progra~1 do this:

ren progra~1 progra~2 (hit <enter> key)

If the main direcory is screwed up and has ascii char you will not be able to rename.

Do not try an reinstall Windows over itself this will not fix it.

You will need to get rid of the virus, there are several dos virus's you can download for free:

http://www.alphalink.com.au/~oleary/Virus/virus1.htm

One of them should clean the virus. Once the virus is gone, you will need to uninstall windows.

Let us know if you get rid of the virus, then we can show you how to uninstall windows manually so the rest of the data stays intact.

------------------
    Murf

Murphy's Law- It will go wrong, but we can fix it!!
    But if it ain't broke - "Leave it Alone"
    http://www.sybercom.net/jtmurphy/index.htm

Wow thanks jtmurphy, that was very helpful. I will give the virus remover a try and let you know. *Fingers crossed*

Have a good one.

Tom

Thread Information