Compaq 4402 Computer - Need HELP!

Thread: Compaq 4402 Computer - Need HELP!

Compaq 4402 Computer - Need HELP!

I needed to do a Quick Restore on a PC, but was not given the start-up disk that was to run with the QR CD. I created a start-up, but I got two error messages...1) The following file is missing or corrupted: Himem.sys and 2) There is an error in your config.sys file on line 2. The config.sys file reads Divice=C:\compaq\support\dfilter:sys. I tried to reload win95 from the compaq disk, but it did not have a setup.exe. I tried a disk that came with another PC and it loaded, but apparently was not compatible with the PC. Can anyone tell me how to make the Quick Restore disk work? I have contacted Compaq at their website, but they not only didn't answer my post, they did not even post the question! Could I reformat the hard disk and maybe get back on tract? Also, the modem no longer works and the PC is acting sluggish. Sorry for the lengthy post, but I didn't know how to ask for help otherwise. Thanks for any help/advice that you can send my way.
    Mitzi

http://www.bootdisk.com/

Here's a site that may help =)

------------------
    http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Loft/1810

[This message has been edited by Bimbofun (edited 04-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Bimbofun (edited 04-14-2000).]
    "Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    ~ Doug Larson ~

Hello Dere

Do not bother with the Compaq Restore disk unless you really need all the extra *stuff*that is on it.Trust me as a Presario owner/victim I can assure you that your machine works better without the additional overhead.I can promise you that following the suggestions below will give you faster and much more stable performance.

The best way would be to go is:

1.) Download the latest drivers for the modem and save them to disk.Do NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!- the Compaq modem is a custom implementation of the Lucent (aka LT WinModem)standard and you must have the drivers to run the modem which will be a 56kdf or possibly a 56k-dfi)

2.)fdisk and then format.

3.) Install a fresh copy of Windows95.I do not recommend Windows 98 as the 4404 is a slow machine.

4.)Install the modem drivers as mentioned above - NAG! - You did download and save the drivers - I Hope.Trust me if you didn't you now have a weird looking paper weight!

------------------
    It is meet to recall that the great green heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight (Foo Ling 2000)
    Please let us know whether our advice was helpful.
    It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight.(Foo Ling ca.1206)

Thread Information