Vernon Frazee, I am having problems when rebooting pc's with your suggestion.

Thread: Vernon Frazee, I am having problems when rebooting pc's with your suggestion.

Vernon Frazee, I am having problems when rebooting pc's with your suggestion.

In my previouse post you suggested a sollution for synchronizing two directories. This is working perfectly, unless I reboot... I was vinked the option reconnect at startup on both pc's, but here is what is happening.

No matter which pc's I boot I always get the message the network connection can't be made. When I boot pc1 I ignore the message, but when booting pc2 this pc should be able to connect to pc1.
    It works when I go to network neighborhood, right click "pc1" properties / administer / click on c$
    Then I see the c-drive of pc1, when I then reconnect the boot sharing it does work again, but it doesn't work before I manually access pc1 in network neighborhood every boot.

Maybe the reconnect after next logon isn't a good sollution with two pc's which I need to reboot sometime.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Dirk_nl (edited 04-14-2000).]
    Kind Regards,

- Dirk -

I remember reading your original post and thinking there was another way to do this, but didn't post it since you had already used VF's suggestion. Now might be the time to revisit your method.

I don't recall all the details of your original post, but here's what I remember: you want to keep data in synch on 2 PCs. The program will only read the data that's in it's own folder, so once you install it on one machine, you can't point it to data on another machine.

My first reaction is, anytime you try to "force" two data sets to match, you're inviting trouble. Better to find a way to work around the limitations of the software and keep only one set of data. Assuming 2 computers named PC1 and PC2, with the C: drive on PC1 shared as NETDATA, here's what I would do:

Install the application on PC1 in C:\WHATEVER. Do NOT enter any data yet, you want a plain vanilla installation, just enough so the thing runs. Then on PC2 map a drive (let's say G : ) to the NETDATA share on PC1. Then, from PC2, install the program to drive G:\WHATEVER. This will overwrite all the files on \\PC1\C\NETDATA with exactly the same files. Now you can enter your data.

This scenario allows both machines to access exactly the same data files, so there's no need to synchronize. Of course, PC1 has to be on before you can run the app from PC2. Another possible problem is if the program keeps any data pointers locally. You may find that data updated via PC1 won't show when you run the app from PC2, but I think this is a minute possibility. Also, you want to make sure that you don't try to run the app from both PC's at the same time.

If you get around to trying this, let us know if it works. Good luck!

------------------
    dcj2
    djanelle@jouaninc.com

[This message has been edited by dougj (edited 04-18-2000).]
    dcj2
    -------
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.)
    --Walt Whitman, "Song of Myself"

Thread Information