Software on ebay

Thread: Software on ebay

Software on ebay

I just purchased some software on ebay. The price was 25% of what I found it anywhere else. I was concerned as to whether I was even going to receive it, but I got an email confirming the shipment.

Is the likelyhood of this being a copied version pretty good? Does this go on at ebay, unchecked?

I believe, I would have preferred the true boxed version with manual and no-problem-upgrades for the higher price.

I suppose I have learned a lesson. Others take heed. Saving a few bucks, probably isn't worth the hassels down the road.

its possible-- ebay doesn't verify the goods sold so it comes down to the seller's reputation

you should always look at the reputation when buying things on on ebay (other people can give positive or negative feedback after doing business)

------------------
    Rapmaster
    Rapmaster
    (I don't like rap music.)

Microsoft MVP,
    Windows - Shell/User

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    I've bought from ebay for years, but never software.....however, to answer your question....if purchased software is from reputable dealers, who sell retail type software, you can buy the boxed versions and these usually come shrinkwrapped with all manuals....If I were going to buy software on ebay, this is the only way I would go

------------------
    "Take only photographs, leave only footprints."

[This message has been edited by photolady (edited 05-30-2002).]

Originally posted by rounder:
    I just purchased some software on ebay. The price was 25% of what I found it anywhere else. I was concerned as to whether I was even going to receive it, but I got an email confirming the shipment.

Is the likelyhood of this being a copied version pretty good? Does this go on at ebay, unchecked?

I believe, I would have preferred the true boxed version with manual and no-problem-upgrades for the higher price.

I suppose I have learned a lesson. Others take heed. Saving a few bucks, probably isn't worth the hassels down the road.

If it is obviously copied (on CDR/CDRW, for example) then put the screws to him-- report his piracy to the SPA and to the auction site.
    http://www.spa.org/piracy/

------------------
    CPU: Am386DX-40
    FPU: Cx387DX-40
    RAM: 32MB, 128KB Cache
    HDD's: (2) 540MB
    CDROM: GCD-R580B (8x)
    VIDEO: 2MB Trident
    SOUND: SB16 PnP
    NIC: 3Com 3c509
    Welcome to the Eclipse(C). The Evolution of an Idea
    Options: DCM3 LCR VMS CVM Sil CPI VMI ANI 648 CA1 SACD500 Att CID RLS TIME DLG

Version: ECLIPSE 2.0.0 09/09/98 System is BUSY Thu 07-21-05 1:31 pm
    Access Level = 10 Port = 10

As with anything else on eBay this comes down to the integrity of the seller. But, it's a little premature to holler wolf until you've inspected the goods on receipt... hmmm?

------------------
    shiva@priest.com
    Various Windows and Linux platforms...

Given the fact that you got an email regarding the shipment, something the seller instigates, leads me to believe the seller is legit.
    There's lots of places to get legal name software on the cheap. Norton AV 2002 can be had for $10, Norton System Utilities can be had for $13. All plus shipping. When these manufacturers decide they've got a few thousand more copies than they think they can sell at full price, I don't think they just burn the extras. They offer them out at bulk discount.

I purchase almost all my software off of EBAY and have never had a problem.
    The items that I have received have for the most part been just the CDs without boxes or manuels but have all been new and registerable.

------------------
    H-P Pavilion,733,192 megs ram,Norton Systemworks 2002, Norton Internet Security 2001
    H-P Pavilion 6746C,Windows ME,733MHz ,512 megs ram,Norton Systemworks Pro 2003, Norton Internet Security 2002, Dial-up Internet connection @ 53K

I don't bid on EBAY but I do find this site rich with information

Depends on how the software was advertised. I trade a lot on ebay both as a buyer and a seller. Ebay does scrutinize the ad's in particular Operating Systems. However, if the seller indicates that the software is OEM or original in a shrink wrap, and you receive a CDR/CDRW copy of it - you have been had.

Your only recourse is send back to seller and hope you get you $$ back, or report to ebay who will investigate and if misleading or unlawful the seller will be banned.

As suggested, always read the Feedback on the seller, if there are negatives read them to determine if you want to deal with that seller.

------------------
    Murf
    ------------------
    Note:"Murf's Garage" under Major Renovation.
    Please do not use "PM" for personal help, post in forum so everybody can learn

Thread Information