Outlook 98 - Problem Copying Messages

Thread: Outlook 98 - Problem Copying Messages

Outlook 98 - Problem Copying Messages

Would appreciate any suggestions to the following problem at work:

PC is a Dell Optiplex GX1P with 20GB HD and 128 MB RAM. Windows 98 and Office 97 updated with all service patches and Outlook 98.

My job has to do with paperless contracting and in order to keep records, we must have the ability to drag and drop Outlook 98 mail messages into our data warehouse drives and folders. When you do this, it creates a file with a .msg extension and the smallest size of any file is about 20KB (Can't use .pst files). Normally, you can double click on these .msg files and Outlook should dosplay this saved message. Lately, I have been unable to do this process. Instead my PC locks up for about one minute and the file saved is either 2 or 3 KB in size and when you double click it, Outlook's error message is "Unable to open the file selected."

I have tried the following to no avail: Uninstalled all Norton applications, Office 97, Outlook and Client 32. Reinstalling just Office and Outlook thereafter did not cure the problem. Only thing I didn't try was to run the Office 97 utility to completely remove all traces of it from my HD and registry.

Unless I can find a solution, I'll have no choice but format and have everything freshly installed onto my PC. Any suggestion are appreciated. Thanks.

Try looking in Win explorer->View->Folder Options->File Types->Outlook Item and make sure "open with" is set to Outlook.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

The association is properly set. The problem is the inability to create .msg files properly. As originally stated, a correct .msg file is at least 20KB in size, while the ones I am now creating are only 2 or 3KB in size and cannot be opened. Thanks for your input Mr. Jones.

This is a little harder, but have you tried to Save AS the message to the other folders?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thread Information