Freesco router

Thread: Freesco router

Freesco router

For all you gurus out there like me.. check out freesco.org. They distibute a small linux router distro that you can run off a floppy on a 486 8mb RAM machine. I have my home network working off of it. My router is a 486/66 16Mb RAM w/100mb hard drive, it dials out to my ISP thru a 56k modem and allows all my pc's to have internet access via a hub.
    It has a web browser configuration interface, and can be set up to HIGH security. I couldn't even ping the box after install !! I love this thing.. its awesome.. check it out.

I've been using freesco since June of 2000. I love it because it will run on even the junkiest computer you can scrounge up. As for the security, I'm a bit hesitant. I think it uses older ipfw rules instead of new ipchains or ipfilter/iptables, so I'm not very clear on how to manually setup a firewall. I do like the setup interfaces, though.

would this be a good option for a firewall between private network and internet.

i dont have modem but a "fixed" connection to internet.
    is security good.?

Z
    jzeilon

yes.. the security is good and has alot of options for security settings. head over to www.freesco.org, they have a forum there and the programmers of freesco answer all the questions.. and fast !! its been awesome for my net connection.

I know that freesco does not support ppoe at this point though..

good luck

Thread Information