[RESOLVED] EMM386 – Unrecoverable privileged operation error #00

Thread: [RESOLVED] EMM386 – Unrecoverable privileged operation error #00

Chris White Guest

EMM386 – Unrecoverable privileged operation error #00

Hi,

I have a Tulip 486DX2 66 machine with the TC40 motherboard running DOS under a Novell NetWare server. Because the BIOS on the machine wasn’t Y2k compliant I obtained a BIOS update (dated 21/10/96) from the Tulip web site.

After installing this, while the machine is booting up I get the following message,

‘EMM386 – Unrecoverable privileged operation error #00 – press ENTER to reboot’

You then have to reboot on a system disk and ‘rem’ the EMM386 line out of the config.sys. After doing this the machine boots up fine, but without the EMM386 enabled.

When at the command prompt and typing EMM386 the following message appears,

‘EMM386 driver not installed’

I have two machines that are almost identical (apart from the BIOS date and the hard disk size). I have checked the BIOS settings and these are the same on both of the machines. Am I missing something obvious? How do I enable the EMM386?

I suggest to check with Tulip about that error message.
    Good Luck

------------------
    Is this a great site or what!
    *** Help others less fortunate.

JESUS IS LORD !

On the EMM386 line are there other switches? If it hasn't been tried use:
    DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386 NOEMS
    If you are using MS-DOS 6.x type help emm386 at the propmpt for more information. Others on this site may know specific exlusion switches.
    Dennis

Chris White Guest
    PROBLEM SOLVED!!

I called Tulip and when the major operating system was DOS they used to get calls like this 10 times a day!!!
    The line in the config.sys that starts 'DEVICE=C:\PLUGPLAY\DRIVERS\DOS.....' needed to be moved right to the beginning of the config.sys, before '....HIMEM.SYS'. When you run Memmaker it puts the plugplay line in the middle of the config.sys when it should be at the beginning. With most BIOS versions this is OK but with some it needs to be at the beginning, which is why it fell over when I upgraded the BIOS.

Many thanks for the help,

Chris.

Thread Information