Stuck in an MS Dos ReBoot Loop!

Thread: Stuck in an MS Dos ReBoot Loop!

Stuck in an MS Dos ReBoot Loop!

(I am running Win98, ATI card, 233 MMX.)

MS DOS Reboot Loop: Somehow the boys' games (a sound card thing) have thrown us into a reboot "loop". Windows tries to restart, does the memory test, then stops at the black Table like screen that names CPU details, Slave, Master, etc., and says:
    "Bad Command or File name.
    You are currently running in MS-Dos Mode. Do you want to return to Normal Mode, to run Windows applications again? [Enter=Y, ESC=N]."

Pressing ENTER starts the reboot process again and repeats the above scenario. Then it says "You are still running an application in MS-DOS mode. To return to normal mode, exit the application you are running or type WIN again." No good.

Pressing N brings us to this DOS Prompt: C:\Windows\Desktop\Games. I can change directories from here, and need instructions. I checked "DIR" for "C:\Windows\Desktop\Games" and it comes up KNPS DLL and 2 un-named files with bytes.

Now what? I tried rebooting from the emergency disk from "A" drive, and even resetting the BIOS back to reboot from C drive, but nothing works. Rebooting still brings us back to the "You are still running an application in MS-DOS mode". We even reinstalled Win98, but the same application must be running in the background somehow and the same this happens again. Any suggestions, you DOS wizards out there? Thank you!
    (P.S. I posted this to Win98 board first, then thought maybe the DOS board would be a better place! Thank you again!!!)

Hi,

Seems like your game put something in Autoexec.bat file which cause that loop (and may be in Config.sys either). When you find yourself at the DOS prompt type CD \ and press Enter to exit into the root of C:\ drive. Here type Edit Autoexec.bat and remove any lines your game added to it. If Edit command will not work then just rename this file with command:

Ren Autoexec.bat *.old

Then I think you will be able to boot Windows and change the Autoexec.old file from here. (If you still can't boot Windows, then try to rename Config.sys file as well.) Then rename it back. And then get a look at Config.sys file. Your game can put some lines here either.
    If you not sure what lines to remove, post your Config and Autoexec here and we tell you what to do (or email them to me).

------------------
    Good luck, Igor M

[This message has been edited by Igor M (edited 04-03-99).]
    Good luck, Igor

Thank you Igor!
    Lois

get yourself a copy of Norton System Works as well, by Symantec
    We scout/manage entertainers-models

Thread Information