no going back to fat32?

Thread: no going back to fat32?

no going back to fat32?

"PM's conversion from FAT to NTFS is, unfortunately, one-way."
    as previously posted
    I had alomst the same situation as the party this post came from described, they got a new HD.... my diff is... this IS a new HD, a 100g, not cheap there IS no data on it that I need.... I dont care if I have to format... the curent OS is win2000 but i have another drive with 98 on it and yet another with ME,of course the win 98 cant see the 100g drive to do any sort of formatting... my question is.... are you possitive there are no ands ifs or buts that i cant take this drive out of NTFS and make it fat32 like my lil' baby drives are.. my wish is to start alllll over... oh yeah another thing I have networking issues.. is the reason for all drives to be fat32

For what it's worth, Partition Magic can easily convert NTFS to FAT32, I've done it before. Naturally, you're advised to make a backup first, but I've never had a problem with it.

Hope this helps...

KV

The conversion from NTFS to FAT32 may work, or it may not. If you needed to save data, you could always use Partition Magic to resize the NTFS partition, then create a FAT32 partition, copy the data from the NTFS partition to the FAT32 partition, then delete the NTFS partition and re-create it as FAT32 and re-install Win2k

"oh yeah another thing I have networking issues.. is the reason for all drives to be fat32
    "

No, this shouldn't be a problem. Would you please elaborate on the networking issues?

------------------
    Systems Administrator
    A+, Net+, i-Net+, CIW-A
    MCP/2K, MCP+I, MCSE/NT4

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Silicon Scream:
    "oh yeah another thing I have networking issues.. is the reason for all drives to be fat32
    "

No, this shouldn't be a problem. Would you please elaborate on the networking issues?

[/QUOTE

networking issues may or may not be a problem IF I can get past the NTFS thing that began this whole ordeal... used win 98, home network worked fine... got win2000, hated it, could never get the computers to "see" each other... decided to just upgrade my machines to windows ME.. and it would have prolly worked fine if not for the fact that my wonderful spouse thought he would be "helpful" and buy me a new HD and install it and partition it himself...u know the type.. install... click...click..click without reading anything!!!! thats how i got HD's with win98 winME and win2000 (diff machines)and the new one has NOTHING yet.... have no clue if the home network will function at all with ME because right now i cant see the new drive to put anything on it because of the NTFS

Thread Information