Outlook can't open

Thread: Outlook can't open

Outlook can't open

In my W2K PC I have Microsoft Office 2000. Before and after the Service Releases were installed, Outlook won't open. I click on it and get an error that OLE registration doesn't work--run setup again. Well I have, a number of times. I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it. THere's several MS bulletins about this: Running SR1 fixes it (nope), reinstalling Outlook Express fixes it (nope), and at least one other fix that Iv'e tried but can't remember because I'm tired. Outlook runs fine on my W98 but not on my W2K setup. I've even reformated and reinstalled W2K and I've even reinstalled W2k over itself. No dice. Anyone ever hear of such a problem?

Sorry about your problem there amuk....I'm running Office 2000 Pro and Outlook works okay for me. Sorry that I don't have any suggestions for you. I'm probably like you right now...dead tired myself.

I was able to run across this link to 200 error messages relating to Outlook 2000 and all of the messages link to Microsof'ts knowledge base. Your error message is listed and it may not help you, but it could be a useful link. Now it's bedtime....

Wow! I must be tired...I forgot to paste the link..
    http://www.chasms2.com/mskb/ol2errors.htm

[This message has been edited by cyclone (edited 02-05-2001).]

Firstly, thanks for the links. I put them in Favorites.
    The fix for this was installing IE5.5SP1. For whatever reason, it had what was needed for Outlook to run. The version that came with this copy of W2K was IE5.1. I had installed OE5.5 earlier to see if that was what needed but it didn't do the trick.

I'm glad that you got it fixed amuk....

cool. I've been having the same problem, so I'll give this a try too.

Thanks!

I just downloaded and installed IE5.5 SP2 (SP1 is no longer available) and I still have the same problem. None of my Office2k applications will open for more than a second or two.

Can anyone think of anything else I could try?

Thanks.

don't know if you have resolved the problem, but your comment about IE jogged my memory about a querk about outlook 2000, is that you have to leave outlook express installed. I know for one, I always used to uninstall OE, but you shouln't with outlook 2000 - not sure what the position is with outlook 2002 though.

Thread Information